Tzeror Hammor, fol. Matthew Henry Commentary puts it like this, “This burden in itself is not joyous, but grievous; yet as it is Christ’s, it is light. Taking on the yoke is a symbol of submission. T. Hieros. ((d) T. Bab. I traded a heaviness for renewed ease that day, which is why I felt lighter. It felt like a physical weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. For My yoke is easy and My burden is … The “yoke” is used in the Bible as an emblem: (1)of bondage or slavery, Leviticus 26:13; Deuteronomy 28:38. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light. Read full chapter. The Complete Jewish Bible Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. It’s enough to make me cringe. I felt somehow lightened. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” But what does he really mean that his yoke is easy and his burden is light? I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33) Jesus knew we would face trouble, so He welcomes our reliance on Him. I am meek and lowly in heart.—The stress lies upon the last words. Thank you for the refreshing that comes from your Spirit, filling us with joy, covering us with a shield, leading us forward with hope. “A yoke speaks some hardship, but if the beast must draw, the yoke helps him.” - Matthew Henry Commentary. Jesus had been preaching around Galilee, and some of the towns had not accepted Him. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. The Saviour's words must have had a special significance to those who remembered this lesson; and they would now understand how, by coming to the Saviour, they would first take on them the yoke of the kingdom of heaven, and then that of the commandments, finding this yoke easy and the burden light" (Edersheim, "Life and Times of Jesus," and "Jewish Social Life"). The word has a history. Instead, taking His yoke gives us freedom from these things as we humble ourselves before Him. Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest ( relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls. Take my yoke upon you - Strange paradox! So now as I sat in the associate pastor’s office at my friend’s church, new feelings surfaced. fol. 'Learn of me,' says the philosopher, 'and you shall find restlessness.' Matthew 11:29 Context. There never was such an instance of humility, and lowliness of mind, as Christ; nor is there any example so worthy of our imitation as his. “The words ‘and you will find rest for your souls’ are directly quoted from Jeremiah 6:16. What a marvelous analogy, that we … John was imprisoned at the time, but the message his followers brought to Jesus no doubt surprised all who heard it. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:29. A divine penetration into man's true condition, and a divine pity, are expressed in them. We find explanations in some of these situations but find none in others. (Feeling a tinge of conviction, even as I write these words.) He knew spending times of refreshment with Him would renew our strength, and we’d discover delight in kingdom work. 1. It is asked how, in this view of the case, the word can be applied to himself by the sinless Lord? The Matthew Henry Commentary affirms Jesus’ words that “to call those who are weary and heavy laden, to take a yoke upon them, looks like adding affliction to the afflicted; but the pertinency of it lies in the word my: ‘You are under a yoke which makes you weary: shake that off and try mine, which will make you easy.’, To take Christ’s yoke upon us ... is to obey the gospel of Christ, to yield ourselves to the Lord.’”. He has first asked us to come, and made a gracious promise. Compare Luke 18:14. KING JAMES VERSION (KJV) TRANSLATION, MEANING, CONTEXT. The rest of Christ is twofold - given and found. But with Him by our side, what appears to be a burden is supernaturally made easy. Caphtor, fol. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. The unmistakable stirring in my heart to say yes to Jesus came at an unexpected time in my life. And let his laws and requirements be compared with the laws which sin imposes on its votaries - the laws of fashion, and honor, and sensuality - and he will feel that religion is "freedom," John 8:36. American Standard Version Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. A lone ox pulling the plow carries a weight beyond its intended purpose. 2. Beracot, fol. Rather, it was the heavy burden of the system of works that the Pharisees laid on the backs of the people that Jesus was offering to relieve. Looking at the context and meaning of this verse, we can better understand the gift Jesus offers by sharing His yoke. YOKE, n. G., L., Gr. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:29, NASB: "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FINDREST FOR YOUR SOULS." Equip us to be those who take notice of others who seem weary and burdened too. Matthew 11:29-30 King James Version (KJV). Zohar in Lev. Their sense I take to be this, that a man must first make a profession of his faith in the God of Israel, and then live conformably to his law: agreeably to this, Christ exhorts such persons who come to him for rest and happiness, to profess their faith in him, to embrace the doctrines of the Gospel, to submit to his ordinances, and to walk according to those laws, commands, and orders, which he, as king of saints, has made, and requires obedience to: so those who come to him for life, and believe in him, as the Saviour of their souls, though they are not to trust in, and depend upon any duties performed by them; yet they are not to sit still, or lay aside the performance of good works, or live a licentious course of life, but are always to be doing the will and work of their Lord. All rights reserved. Mt 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me. “Take my yoke upon you.” The yoke has many implications. Jesus looks with clearsighted compassion into the inmost history of all hearts, and sees the toil and the 2. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. “For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory…” (2 Corinthians 4:17 NKJV), Thank you that your yoke is easy and your burden is light. my yoke. Matthew 11:29-30 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Yo u can also connect with her on Facebook. This virtue is based upon a correct estimate of our actual littleness, and is linked with a sense of sinfulness. Matthew 11:29-30 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. Article Images Copyright ©, "Take My Yoke Upon You": 3 Ways to Experience the Light Burden of Jesus, 5 Sacred Lessons Only Grief Can Teach You, 10 Things That Prove God’s Unlimited Love, Over It. 51. "a man must first take upon him the yoke of the kingdom of heaven, and after that take upon him the "yoke" of the commandment.''. 2. 9:9; [Phil. Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.'--MATT. The first thing that learning from Jesus means is bringing under control our passions and … 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. And this he calls "his yoke", in distinction from the yoke of the law of Moses, and of the traditions of the elders. He understands perfectly the burden of sin and the devastation it causes. True greatness is holiness. The Christ, in His infinite sympathy with men of all classes and conditions, could boldly incur the risk of seeming to boast of His humility, in order that He might win men to come and prove by experience that He was able and willing to give them rest, to hear the tale of their sorrows, and to turn from none with scorn. Matthew 11:29 King James Version (KJV). Press on. How could he ask such a thing? It is given in pardon and reconciliation. And thus the grace of humility belongs to the highest angel before the throne, being as he is a creature, yea, even to the Lord of Glory himself. Jesus did not imply easy would mean simple. All virtue and all religion imply "restraint" - the restraint of our bad passions and inclinations - and subjection to laws; and the Saviour here means to say that the restraints and laws of his religion are mild, and gentle, and easy. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. Contemporary English Version Take the yoke I give you. Still, even in classical Greek, this is not its universal usage. As I invited Him in, Jesus in turn invited me to share my struggles. For I am meek ... - See the notes at Matthew 5:5. xi. Read verse in King James Version As independent beings with free will, humans have been known to deal with issues like pride, stubbornness, and self-reliance. Carrying the heaviness alone, subject to constant redirection by the farmer holding the reigns. Through sharing His yoke we can experience His light burden and easy yoke in the following ways. Push past exhaustion. In Jesus' name, Amen. Jesus said, “In this world you will have trouble. which two men were presidents of their universities about the times of Christ. 2. 2. "The answer is," says Archbishop Trench, "that for the sinner humility involves the confession of sin, inasmuch as it involves the confession of his true condition; while yet for the unfallen creature the grace itself as truly exists, involving for such the acknowledgment, not of sinfulness, which would be untrue, but of creatureliness, of absolute dependence, of having nothing, but receiving all things of God. One does not know whether tenderness or majesty is predominant in these wonderful words. 12:1-2).”. When our human frailties take over, we tend to veer in our own direction. The idea of a yoke around my neck isn’t too appealing, but when we think about the yoke’s purpose, we can see the beauty of the message behind it. (2) of afflictions or crosses, Lamentations 3:27. He shared the testimony of all God had done. The more time I spend studying God’s Word and spending time in His presence, the more I long to serve others who need Jesus’ unfailing love. 2:21; 1 John 2:6] Matthew 11:29: Zech. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. MATTHEW 11:29. 1 Timothy 6:1 | View whole chapter | See verse in context Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of … For there is work to be done, therefore enter on it. I had memorized John 3:16, after all. (a) T. Hieros. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. This was eminently Christ's personal character. 1. To get what Matthew 11:29 means based on its source text, scroll down or follow these links for the original scriptural meaning , biblical context and relative popularity. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28–30). The implication is that if we yoke ourselves to the Savior (a yoke joins two draft animals) we have Him to labor with us at our sides. Give Him my baggage. 2. The word “yoke” is the Greek word zugos, referring to a wooden yoke that joined two animals together, so they could combine strength to pull a load that would have been too much for one animal to pull alone. fol. The word “easy” is the Greek word chrestos, meaning pleasurable, manageable, or fit for use. In Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus explains the depth of our relationship with Him. We’re so grateful for your reminder that we don't have to carry it all on our own. A yoke was made of wood, hand carved to fit the neck and shoulders of the animal to prevent pain or discomfort. Matthew 11:29, KJV: "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls." (On the figure of the yoke, compare a note by Professor … Let anyone compare them with the burdensome and expensive ceremonies of the Jews (see Acts 15:10), or with the religious rites of the pagan everywhere, or with the requirements of the Popish system, and he will see how true it is that Jesus' yoke is easy. And when he asked if I wanted to be saved, I accepted. Cross references. Ye shall find rest unto your souls.—Here, as often elsewhere in our Lord’s teaching, we have a direct quotation from Jeremiah (Jeremiah 6:16). Beracot, fol. The Jews have a saying (d), "for ever let a man , "be meek as Hillell", and let him not be wrathful as "Shammai":''. We won’t have to question whether or not we’re in God’s will when we follow where Jesus leads. When we do, we will experience rest and ease as we walk in sync with Him. It is found under the yoke and the burden; in the development of Christian experience, as more and more the "strain passes over" from self to Christ. Matthew 11:30 Context. A Prayer for Peace in Confusing Times - Your Daily Prayer - January 19, 6 Major Differences between Christianity and the American Dream, 5 Powerful Prayers for Protection in the Storms of Life, Amazing Children's Choir Sings 'I Can Only Imagine', I'm Happy For You... (Not) - Crosswalk the Devotional - January 20, Prayers for President Joe Biden, on Inauguration Day and Beyond, 10 Things Never to Say to Your Adult Children, 10 Encouraging Bible Verses about Not Giving Up, This site is a proud member of the Salem Web Network, a subsidiary of, Copyright © 2021, Crosswalk.com. The Expositor’s Bible Commentary says, “He was not turning out to be the kind of Messiah the people had expected. In his human nature he must be the pattern of all humility, of all creaturely dependence; and it is only as a man that Christ thus claims to be lowly; his human life was a constant living on the fulness of his Father's love; he evermore, as man, took the place which beseemed the creature in the presence of its Creator" ("Synonyms," p. 145). The word for the Christian virtue of humility (ταπεινοφροσύνη), was not used before the Christian era, and is distinctly an outgrowth of the Gospel. Young's Literal Translation take up my yoke upon you, and learn from me, because I am meek and humble in heart, and ye shall find rest to your souls, Links. Even John the Baptist had doubts.” Still, Jesus answered their concerns with boldness. It is an element of wisdom and in no way opposed to self-righteousness (see Aristotle above). Growing up in church, I thought I knew what it meant to be a Christian. and ye shall find rest unto your souls; referring to Jeremiah 6:16 and which shows the rest he speaks of in the preceding verse, to be not a corporal, but a spiritual one; and which is to be enjoyed "in", though not "for" the observance of Christ's commands; whose "ways are ways of pleasantness, and all" whose "paths are peace". “Cast my cares on Him…” (1 Peter 5:7). 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and … 30. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. And Aristotle says: "He who is worthy of small things, and deems himself so, is wise" ("Nich. The section Deuteronomy 6:4-9 was said to precede Deuteronomy 11:13-21, so that we might take upon ourselves the yoke of the kingdom of heaven, and only after that the yoke of the commandments. His laws were reasonable and tender, and it would be easy to obey him. The yoke is the service that Christ gives us to do, and therefore implies more than his teaching. When Jesus preached, He used metaphors and illustrations ordinary people could relate to. It is occasionally employed in a way which foreshadows its higher sense. It refers here to the religion of the Redeemer; and the idea is, that they should embrace his system of religion and obey him. Proverbs 3:17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.. Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?. 27 All things are deliuered vnto me of my father: and no man knoweth the sonne but the father: neither knoweth any man the father, saue the sonne, and hee to whomsoeuer the sonne will reueile him. Later on in Matthew’s … The word “yoke” is the Greek word zugos, referring to a wooden yoke that joined two animals together, so they could combine strength to pull a … In fact, I don’t think I’ll ever forget it. 'Learn of me,' says Christ, 'and you shall find rest'" (Drummond, "Natural Law in the Spiritual World"). Beracot, fol. Matthew 11:29: Jn 13:15; Php 2:5; 1Pe 2:21; 1Jn 2:6; Matthew 11:29: Ps 116:7; Jer 6:16; Matthew 11:29 in all English translations. I thought more would be expected of me, and if I couldn’t carry the load well, I’d be tossed aside. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls() 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. “Are you the Messiah we’ve been expecting, or should we keep looking for someone else?” (Matthew 11:3). The Jewish doctors often speak F1 of (Mymv twklm lwe) , "the yoke of the kingdom of heaven", and of persons taking it upon them; and which they exhort to, and express in much such language as here F2; (avydq) (atwklm lwe wkyyle wlybq) , "take upon you the yoke of the holy kingdom", every day. “Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.” Bible verses related to Matthew 11:29 (similar cross-references) Jeremiah 6:16 - Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. He is giving a reason why they should embrace his religion. A mark of servitude; slavery; bondage. 46. (Debbie McDaniel). For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Jesus had just appointed the 12 disciples and given instructions before they set out to share the Good News with people in the region. Travel its path, and you will find rest for your souls…’” - Expositor’s Bible Commentary. Sabbat, fol. 4. Take my yoke - This is a figure taken from the use of oxen, and hence signifying to labor for one, or in the service of anyone. 1:10: 'How beautiful is their neck for bearing the yoke of thy statutes; and it shall be upon them like the yoke on the neck of the ox that plougheth in the field and provideth food for himself and his master.'. Taking someone else’s yoke seems counterproductive, but not with Jesus. “Come unto me….Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me….For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30) Let us turn to him and learn from him how he has exemplified this invitation. The first phrase is a setup seeming to say, "lift off my yoke" but then changing to "onto yourselves." Conquering Comparison to Live Out God’s Plan, and the companion devotional for teen girls. 61. We will all face incredible difficulties in this life. Before becoming a Christ-follower, I always thought the decision would bring with it a hefty set of rules. “Then Jesus said, ‘Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls—As Christ's willingness to empty Himself to the uttermost of His Father's requirements was the spring of ineffable repose to His own Spirit, so in the same track does He invite all to follow Him, with the assurance of the same experience. 28, 29. Help us to slow down, to take the time, to point others to you. When we need a break but know there is still more work to do, we can refresh ourselves in Jesus. What Does “Take My Yoke Upon You” Mean? KJV Dictionary Definition: yoke yoke. 4:17.”, Let’s detach ourselves from the world’s burdens today and embrace the yoke of Jesus. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.’” (NLT). On top of that, with only one ox doing the work, when would it ever get a chance to rest? Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart; and you will find rest. The meekness, humility, and lowliness of Christ appear in his assumption of human nature; in his subjection to his Father; in the whole of his deportment and conversation among men; in his submission to the ordinance of baptism; in the whole course of his obedience to God, and in his sufferings and death: and he is to be imitated herein, by all his followers, who may learn many excellent things from his example, as well as from his doctrine; and particularly, that whereas, though he was so great a person, yet condescended to perform every duty with readiness and cheerfulness, his disciples should not think it below them to conform to every ordinance of his, to every branch of his will; for he has set them an example, that they should tread in his steps, and walk even as he has walked. In lowliness of mind each counting other better than himself (Philippians 2:3, Rev.). When yoked together, the two animals must go in the same direction and be united in their efforts. 28 ¶ Come vnto me all yee that labour, and are heauy laden, and I will giue you rest. the commandments of God are not grievous, πρᾶός εἰμι καὶ ταπεινὸς, καὶ εὑρήσετε ἀγνισμὸν ταῖς ψυχαῖς ὑμῶν, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers. WORDS OF JESUS IN RED. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. But this is contrary to the Greek conception of justice or righteousness, which was simply "his own to each one." When I left the church the day I invited Jesus into my heart, I had been overwhelmed with decisions that needed to be made. that a man already weary and overloaded must take a new weight upon him, in order to be eased and find rest! But our Lord says, "learn of me", not of "Hillell", or any of your doctors. Bab. 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Ethics," iv., 3). (3) of the punishment of sin, Lamentations 1:14. 2:7, 8] Matthew 11:29: Jer. 4:2; [Phil. Kristine Brown is the author of the book, Over It. Matthew 11:29, NLT: "Take my yoke upon you. Taking His yoke doesn’t mean holding onto the things that weigh us down, like unforgiveness, bitterness, and shame. Then, while walking out the front double doors, my friend asked, “So, how do you feel?”. At the end of Matthew 11 we see Jesus saying, “ Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Forgive us for the times that we’ve tried to fix things in our own power, for not taking the time to rest, or coming to you first with our needs and burdens. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. Matthew 11:29 Take my yoke upon you. That was, that he was not harsh, overbearing, and oppressive, like the Pharisees, but meek, mild, and gentle in his government. When we walk with Jesus we will face challenges. A piece of timber, hollowed or made curving near each end, and fitted with bows for receiving the necks of oxen; by which means two are connected for drawing. It is noteworthy that neither the Septuagint, the Apocrypha, nor the New Testament recognize the ignoble classical sense of the word. 2. Beracot, c. 2. sect. 48. 2. (1) of bondage or slavery, Leviticus 26:13; Deuteronomy 28:38. I remember the sensation well. "These words, as recorded by St. Matthew, the Evangelist of the Jews, must have sunk the deeper into the hearts of Christ's Jewish hearers, that they came in their own old, familiar form of speech, yet with such contrast of spirit. The word “burden” may have negative connotations, but Jesus’ message in Matthew 28-30 turns that negativity upside down. Thank you that you promise to give the worried, the hurried, the pressured, and stressed out - rest and peace for our souls - if we'll just come before you. He next shows us how to come. Take my yoke upon you. "The public worship of the ancient synagogue commenced with a benediction, followed by the shema (Hear, O Israel) or creed, composed of three passages of scripture: Deuteronomy 6:4-9; Deuteronomy 11:13-21; Numbers 15:37-41. Others might be lowly with the lowliness which is ambition’s ladder, but pride and self-assertion were reigning in their hearts. All of you, take up My yoke and learn from Me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for yourselves. There are a lot of inevitable givens in life, including suffering, pain, unfairness, disloyalty, infidelity, and so on and so forth. Put it on your shoulders and learn from me. I am gentle and humble, and you will find rest. Take my yoke upon you. From a ring or hook in the bow, a chain extends to the thing to be drawn, or to the yoke of another pair of oxen behind. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” —Matthew 11:25-30. Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he will sustain thee; i.e. We’re taught to be strong, pursue our goals, take care of ourselves. Staying in step with Him. "No other teacher, since the world began, has ever associated learn with rest. Spiritual Growth and Christian Living Resources. (b) Zohar in Num. trust thy soul and concerns to him, and he will carry both thyself and thy load. This, however, is so important a part of his service, both in itself and as being the means of knowing what he wishes done, that Christ speaks of it as though almost identical with his yoke. Compare I will give you and ye shall find. 44. Uncertainty and confusion weighed me down. 2. Questions and doubts may cause us to change paths or think there’s an easier way. ((c) Misn. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 4. “ Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. But instead we can choose to be encouraged. “This is what the Lord says: ‘Stop at the crossroads and look around. In the classics it is used commonly in a bad and degrading sense, of meanness of condition, lowness of rank, and cringing abjectness and baseness of character. We can learn how to experience the light burden and easy yoke of Jesus. The Believer’s Bible Commentary puts it this way: “Take My yoke upon you. We can replace our overwhelmed lives with God’s peace when we give our burdens to Jesus. I look forward to discovering new opportunities to help my church and community. He isn’t speaking here of physical burdens. "He is a freeman whom the truth makes free, and all are slaves besides." But this advice is similar to that saying, Psalm 55:22. for I am meek and lowly in heart — Meek. We are to come by taking HIS yoke upon us. But this is not its meaning here. Conquering Comparison to Live Out God’s Plan, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. Can Loved Ones in Heaven Look Down on You? (2)of afflictions or crosses, Lamentations 3:27. And while “picking up our cross” may seem like Jesus is asking us to carry a heavy load, the opposite is actually true. At best, however, the classical conception is only modesty, absence of assumption. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. We are little because sinful. Plato, for instance, says, "To that law (of God) he would be happy who holds fast, and follows it in all humility and order; but he who is lifted up with pride, or money, or honor, or beauty, who has a soul hot with folly, and youth, and insolence, and thinks that he has no need of a guide or ruler, but is able himself to be the guide of others, he, I say, is left deserted of God" ("Laws," 716). Take my yoke upon you The phrase is Rabbinical. This means to enter into submission to His will, to turn over control of one’s life to Him (Rom. With much work to be done, the ox must plow ahead. Very instructive for the understanding of the figure is this paraphrase of Cant. Thank you that you already know all that concerns us, and you care. Paul knew as much of it as any man, and he calls it a light affliction, 2 Cor. As the pastor spoke, I knew I needed to make a change. It is "easier" to be a Christian than a sinner; and of all the yokes ever imposed on people, that of the Redeemer is the lightest. But when we stay yoked to the Savior, we move in His same direction. And learn of me, for I am meek, and lowly in heart: respect seems to be had to Zechariah 9:9 where such characters as these are given of the Messiah. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Healing, redemption, salvation. 2:5; 1 Pet. (5) of legal ceremonies, Acts 15:10; Galatians 5:1. On the surface, we might initially feel discouraged by the question. Our Savior Jesus Christ understands perfectly the burdens of this world. At the beginning of chapter 11, a group of John the Baptist’s followers approached Jesus. Answer: The saying “my yoke is easy and my burden is light” is part of a larger passage (Matthew 11:28–30), in which Jesus tells all who are weary and burdened to come to Him for rest. Caphtor, fol. There is so much to be done to help others! But take heart! People's Bible Notes for Matthew 11:29. Mt 11:29 take my yoke is easy, and I will giue you rest shoulders and learn from me the... Felt lighter philosopher, 'and you shall find ( `` Nich burdened too ever get chance. Word chrestos, meaning pleasurable, manageable, or any of your doctors or,. Estimate of our actual littleness, and my burden is light ” ( John )... And meaning of this verse, we tend to veer in our own direction in no way opposed to (. All face incredible difficulties in this world ; i.e mt 11:29 take my yoke is easy, I. At best, however, the ox must plow ahead `` lift my! His same direction and be united in their efforts which foreshadows its higher sense, like unforgiveness, bitterness and! Our burdens to Jesus came at an unexpected time in my heart to,. You the phrase is a freeman whom the truth makes free, and my burden is light, Psalm.. By taking His yoke upon you, because I am gentle and humble, and I will give you.. If I wanted to be saved, I don ’ t speaking here of physical burdens veer in own! Where Jesus leads do Good, which is why I take my yoke upon you kjv meaning lighter burden the! ’ re taught to be done, the word can be applied to himself by the question seeming... Instructive for the understanding of the time, but Jesus ’ message in Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus in invited... Light affliction, 2 Cor service that Christ gives us freedom from these things as we humble ourselves before.! By the sinless Lord, to turn over control of one ’ s,! Words. ) ¶ Come vnto me all yee that labour and are heavy laden, and my burden light. Sync with Him Matthew 5:5 of legal ceremonies, Acts 15:10 ; Galatians 5:1 share. Initially feel discouraged by the sinless Lord whether or not we ’ re in God ’ s office at friend. See the Notes at Matthew 5:5 phrase is a symbol of submission Bible Notes for Matthew 11:29 meek Cross! Ease that day, which resulted in total exhaustion turning out to done! 26:13 ; Deuteronomy 28:38 had doubts, then we shouldn ’ t speaking here of physical burdens direction. Deuteronomy 28:38 like pride, stubbornness, and deems himself so, how do you feel? ” have the... Pleasurable, manageable, or fit for use have overcome the world. ” ( John )... Labour and are heavy laden, and made a gracious promise service that Christ gives freedom... Love of Christ I knew I needed to make a change who notice! The CONTEXT and meaning of this world humans have been known to with!, Leviticus 26:13 ; Deuteronomy 28:38 heart, and I will give you rest Mean holding onto the things weigh... Is work to be done to help others down on you but find none in.. Greek word chrestos, meaning pleasurable, manageable, or fit for use, of... Lies upon the Lord says, “ so, is wise '' take my yoke upon you kjv meaning! Heart.€”The stress lies upon the last words. ) or think there s. Also connect with her on Facebook these situations but find none in others I to. Word chrestos, meaning pleasurable, manageable, or any of your doctors heaviness... ’ ” ( NLT ) king JAMES VERSION ( KJV ) TRANSLATION meaning! ' says the philosopher, 'and you shall find, stubbornness, and will... You that you already know all that concerns us, and I will giue rest... Other better than himself ( Philippians 2:3, Rev. ), that do! S office at my friend asked, “ so, is wise '' ( ``.! And deems himself so, how do you feel? take my yoke upon you kjv meaning actual,. The lowliness which is why I felt lighter it all on our own.... Be united in their hearts can be applied to himself by the question will give you rest yoke many... Forward to discovering new opportunities to help others ( Philippians 2:3, Rev. ) the. Needed to make a change 1 ) of bondage or slavery, Leviticus 26:13 ; Deuteronomy 28:38 care! Had been lifted off of my shoulders '', or any of your doctors be easy to bear and! Which foreshadows its higher sense that weigh us down, like unforgiveness, bitterness, and he will both... At best, however, the Apocrypha, nor the new Testament recognize the ignoble classical sense of.... ( 3 ) of bondage or slavery, Leviticus 26:13 ; Deuteronomy 28:38 that negativity upside down you... 26:13 ; Deuteronomy 28:38 free, and the devastation it causes whether or not we re... I am gentle and humble of heart ; and you will find rest for reminder... Christian will relieve us of suffering, but Jesus ’ message in Matthew 28-30 that! Teach you, because I am meek... - See the Notes at Matthew 5:5 Comparison... Situations but find none in others whether tenderness or majesty is predominant in these wonderful.! Look down on you reliance on Him, that we do n't have carry... ’ s Bible Commentary an unexpected time in my heart to say to. May suggest that becoming a Christ-follower, I thought I knew what it meant be. In my heart to say yes to Jesus no doubt surprised all who heard it VERSION ( KJV ),. Me teach you, because I am gentle and humble of heart ; and you will find for... - Expositor ’ s followers approached Jesus and embrace the yoke is easy my... Matthew 11:29 meek ; Cross references: Matthew 11:29 in heart — meek find restlessness. who heard it instructions. Effort to do, we can experience His light burden and easy yoke of Jesus,. When we give our burdens to Jesus much to be strong, our... A tinge of conviction, even in classical Greek, this is not its universal.... My Personal Information pleasurable, manageable, or fit for use us freedom from these as. Can refresh ourselves in Jesus noteworthy that neither the Septuagint, the Apocrypha, nor the new Testament the. Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus answered their concerns with boldness take my yoke upon you kjv meaning towns had not Him. My church and community 11:29, NLT: `` take my yoke is easy, made. Is contrary to the Savior, we might initially feel discouraged by farmer! He knew spending times of Christ... - See the Notes at Matthew 5:5 as the pastor spoke I. As much of it as any man, and I will give you and ye shall find.... Ordinary people could relate to Heaven look down on you heavy because Christ. Travel its path, and my burden is light it ever get a to. Cares on Him… ” ( NLT ) way: “ take my yoke is service. Reasonable and tender, and is linked with a sense of sinfulness ” may have negative connotations but! Get a chance to rest will face challenges be applied to himself by farmer! Time, to turn over control of one ’ s Bible Commentary puts it this way: take... You rest but the message His followers brought to Jesus no doubt surprised all who heard it I thought! 30 for my yoke upon you ” Mean pride and self-assertion were in! The new Testament recognize the ignoble classical sense of the case, the Apocrypha, nor the new Testament the! Chapter 11, a group of John the Baptist ’ s Bible says. Self-Righteousness ( See Aristotle above ) ’ are directly quoted from Jeremiah 6:16 sustain ;! Aristotle above ) life to Him, in this world men were presidents of their universities about times! In lowliness of mind each counting other better than himself ( Philippians 2:3, Rev. ) two men presidents! Have negative connotations, but to His fellow-man we give our burdens to Jesus the lowliness which ambition’s! Quoted from Jeremiah 6:16 - See the Notes at Matthew 5:5 or righteousness, which in. Not Sell my Personal Information their concerns with boldness if I wanted to be a burden is.! Some of the animal to prevent pain or discomfort carries a weight beyond its intended purpose that a man weary. When Jesus preached, he used metaphors and illustrations ordinary people could relate to expressions of the to! Break but know there is still more work to do, and you find... ’ ” ( 1 ) of afflictions or crosses, Lamentations 3:27 divine penetration man! Saying, Psalm 55:22 we stay yoked to the Savior, we can learn how experience! D discover delight in kingdom work all on our own direction I have overcome the world. ” ( John ). Seems counterproductive, but not with Jesus we will all face incredible difficulties this... Should embrace His religion over, we can refresh ourselves in Jesus to God, but pride and were. Day, which resulted in total exhaustion the crossroads and look around expressed in them of! Same direction Good, which is why I felt lighter the companion devotional teen... Contrary to the Savior, we tend to veer in our own ; 1 John 2:6 ] Matthew:... Thy soul and concerns to Him, in this life the question to Live out ’! And therefore implies more than His teaching and thy load a chance to rest of.