Tanichthys: named for Chinese boy scout leader Tan Kan Fei, who first collected the type species, plus the Greek ἰχθύς (ichthus), meaning ‘fish’. albonubes: from the Latinalbus, meaning ‘white’, and nubes, meaning ‘cloud’, in reference to the species’ type locality (see ‘Distribution’). By Lolaby2, 5 years ago on General ... Hello! One of the rosy tetras just died. I floated the bags in the tank for 2 hours before poking holes in the bag to let water move back and forth. It was just those two that were not eating. It is gravid. Then, they'll spawn adversarial to plants. Hello! Possibly, but it could also just be one of those things. Secondly, White Clouds aren't live-bearers, they lay eggs which are then fertilised by the male. For over a half century the White Cloud Mountain Minnow was the only species in the newly defined genus. Also, I now realise I should have asked for two females and one male at the pet shop but I was exited and wasn't thinking strait at the time. By entering this site you declare My White cloud mountain minnow has looked hugely pregnant for months. is she pregnant?? nicely to reproduce the white cloud minnows position both a mature pair or some men and four-6 women people that are youthful jointly in a 5 gallon tank with plants, java moss, or "spawning mops." White Cloud Mountain Minnow at PetSmart. White clouds don't eat their eggs or young and can be bred in their main tank. get rid of the mum and dad (non-compulsory). Anyway, I'm rambling and new to all this. I got two new White cloud minnows over a wee... 5 Gal, Pregnant White Cloud Mountain Minnow. White Clouds can live 3 to 5-years and grow to be about 1.5" long. I have 5 minnows and 1 goldfish. Mar 29, 2019 - Explore Julius Wulf's board "White cloud minnow" on Pinterest. also, white clouds LOVE flow. The female will take on a more gravid appearance when ready to reproduce. The tank has been running for almost 2 years now, I had a betta in it that recently past but because I had snails in it I let it be. I plan to add six more minnows later on in stages but I don't want to ammonia level to spike if I add too many. Do you think there is a possibility my female minnow is pregnant? my white cloud minnow has a !!!HUGE!!! White Cloud Mountain Minnow has lots of red dot. The tiny fry may be visible on the sides of the glass or among plants. The males seem to flare at each other and the bigger one appears to chase the female around the tank. This species is an ideal fish for virtually any "community" nano or planted tank, especially subtropical setups! At least I believe so because I can't find him. Get answers by asking now. I witnessed my 2 year previous pair spawning deep in java moss on 9/23/ninety seven. I have no pics but I see a black gravid spot near her stomach. The white cloud minnow has a shiny green color with bright red fins. Unfortunately, the species is extinct in its native habitat. The gravid spot on a platy fish is a sure indication that your female Platy is pregnant. different men will demonstrate alongside him (head to tail) to guage themselves and at times take a passing nip at one yet another. This easy-to-keep minnow will do well in the community aquarium with other peaceful fish. 1 Comment . White cloud mountin minnow with fungus on mouth? Firstly, in a 20 gallon tank (I assume its cycled?) See also They were both smaller than the rest and looked like they hadn't eaten in a long time but other than that they looked the same. Causes and Cures For Beard Algae In Your Aquarium. I said it's an egg layer. April 12, 2020 at 7:02 am . White Cloud Mountain Minnow Overview by Engineer111 (Wiki) The White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichthys albonubes) is a freshwater Minnow that belongs to the Cyprinidae family.They are a relatively new species, discovered in China in 1932.. White Cloud Mountain Minnow. So I added some hiding spots and then one of the tetras died. My White cloud mountain minnow has looked hugely pregnant for months. I just got some White Clouds from the pet store and two of them were looking a little sick. However, in 2001, two additional species found in Vietnam were recognized; Tanichthys micagemmae and Tanichthys thacbaensis. You can also check if the abdominal area has become bigger than normal. What do they do when breed? I noticed as well that she was being chased by a male minnow around the tank lately. they come from mountain streams, so waterflow is actually quite good for them. The water must be between pH 6.5 and 7.5, slightly comfortable, and close to sixty 8-seventy 5 ranges F. The male(s) will flash their fins and do a dance to entice women people.because the male stands out his fins and places on his merely properly hues, different white clouds will come to check out. White Cloud Mountain Minnow Stats Minimum Tank Size: 10 Gallons Care Level: Very Easy Water Conditions: 6.0-8 and Moderately Hard to Hard Temperature: 18–26 °C (64–79 °F) Maximum Size: 1.5 inches (4cm) The white cloud minnow (Tanichthys alonubes), also known as the poor man’s neon tetra, is a hardy and attractive cold-water fish. If you want fry, then put some Java Moss in the tank as they love to lay their eggs in this, or failing that, a spawning mop. White clouds are still egg layers, still not livebearers. White Cloud Mountain Minnow, FishTankWeb.Com – For you who like tropical fish, White Cloud Mountain Minnow is known as the hardy fish. White cloud mountain minnow habitat is the Pearl River delta area. and guppies are frequently pregnant for 4 weeks. Spawning activity could include: flaring of the fins on males, a gravid spot on females, or males reluctantly chasing females. you read and agreed to the, http://www.myaquariumclub.com/the-drip-acclimation-method-78.html, http://www.myaquariumclub.com/solving-water-quality-issues-1924.html. after expanding my overall stock and expanding their shoal to 15, they are active and everywhere in the tank. did you see any of the same warning signs? As the title says, what are the signs of White Cloud Mountain Minnows about to lay eggs? i hear females have a belly even when they r not pregantn. Here is a list of possible tankmates: Danios. White Cloud Mountain Minnows are small, colorful fish, once termed the working man's Neon because they compared to Neon Tetras in color but were not as expensive. You asked this question before. White foamy Bubbles on top of tank water?, Levels in tank ar... Stocking My 5 Gallon Tank With Ember Tetras and White Cloud Mountain Minnows? Like chickens and sparrows, white clouds can never become pregnant. My black moor goldfish is lying on the bottom of the tank and has a white eye, Back to Basics: White Cloud Mountain Minnows (Tanichthys albonubes). The female will retain her slightly duller coloration. So I added some hiding spots and then one of the tetras died. After some days more beneficial once fry are loose-swimming (as a lot as a week from egg laying), feed small microorganisms like infusuria (paramecium, etc. The easiest way to check if your white cloud minnow is pregnant is to check its gravid spot. Lonley white cloud mountain minnow. The guy that cares for the reptiles and fish there is very well informed. I didn't have any other fish in the aquarium and I figured that these fish had been living in the water for some months already so I figured it wouldn't hurt. She has been pregnant for about 3 weeks now, since she has been with a male in my tank. The White Cloud is brown below the lateral stripe while micagemmae is paler, often with tiny dark spots. If the gravid spot is dark it is a good indicator that your fish is pregnant. I noticed my wcmm were doing the same thing a few months ago; all seven huddled in the corner farthest away from me for no reason. Just a small greyish brown spot near her ovipositor. White Clouds have only recently received the popularity and notoriety that they deserve. White cloud eggs hatch within 48 to 60 hours. Red spot disease will be caused by a bacterial infection and the best way to cure this is to add aquarium salt (Available on Amazon) ... How To Tell If Your White Cloud Minnow Is Pregnant. I also tested the water (before the water change) for Ammonia and Nitrites and got 0PPM for both. The black stripe is about 0.9-1.8 times wider than the white stripe here, while in albonubes it’s 0.3-0.6 times as wide. Thought to be effective in controlling mosquitoes, these fish have been stocked in backyard ponds—subsequently spreading to nearby creeks and rivers during heavy rains. White cloud minnows are native to China, but are a popular aquarium fish in Australia. Also known as the White Cloud Mountain Minnow, this fish originates from the gorges of the White Cloud Mountains of China. I just got some White Clouds from the pet store and two of them were looking a little sick. Other than agitation though they didn't seam sick. should i look for a large one that has no belly and is slim??? Poking holes is not a good idea (letting bag water and your water mix) because you don't know what nasties you're introducing to the tank from the lfs water. This is called the gravid spot and its the best indication of whether she's full of eggs or not. Can i keep 6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows in a 19 litre tank? Nothing has changed in the past half hour. The latter blend in a quarantine tank yielded an unpredicted brood of thousands from fish from mum and dad that i concept too youthful to reproduce. Here is how:http://www.myaquariumclub.com/the-drip-acclimation-method-78.html, As mentioned in the previous answer, water parameters should be within the comfort range of the fish, and toxic nitrogen compounds must be within the limits documented in the following link:http://www.myaquariumclub.com/solving-water-quality-issues-1924.html. In the aquarium hobby, it is also known as the Cardinal Fish, or Canton Minnow. See more ideas about white cloud minnow, white cloud, aquarium fish. Next. In fact, “mountains” are made up of 3 peaks and they are a very popular place of tourism, includi… Keep them well fed and do regular water changes. It was from Animal House Petshop its this little ma and pa shop. Check it out! you can add two more females easily and you need to do this pretty quickly. Dimorphism: The White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichthys albonubes) male will develop a vibrant, red coloration. She acts exactly like the other fish, same activity, appetite everything. White Cloud Mountain Minnow Tropical Fish Learn all about the White Cloud Mountain Minnow's feeding habits and food types, its behaviour, its origins, its natural habitats, is it male or female, breeding advice and information, suitable tank mates, its sizing and growth range, minimum tank size, water PH and more. Good luck with them and get those females soon : ). White cloud minnow not eating. It looks like she may have one, but she doesnt really look bloated at all. White Cloud females have naturally big bellies so if you're unsure take a look at her sides, about halfway down you might see a darker spot. The other one is still fighting but doesn't have any interest in food, so I am getting concerned. To breed white clouds have a group in a tank without a heater. Livebearers, such as … Gravid spot A dark but transparent area under the base of the penduncle which female guppies possess; visible in very young female fry. Now and then I've noticed my two older Minnows - one male and one female - having a tendency to arch their backs, so they curve their spine and caudal fin upwards or downwards (no idea why). I added 17 White Cloud Mountain Minnows and 28 snails to the no tech planted aquarium! White Cloud mountain minnow or cardinal tetra. They can become gravid with eggs or some say ripe with eggs. The Scientist call him Tanichthys albonubes. No they all just seamed kind of agitated, chasing each other and fin nipping. The Golden White Cloud is a peaceful schooling fish that adds color and energy to the freshwater aquarium. ... White Cloud Mountain minnow, a species in the genus Tanichthys Other minnows. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. If you’re looking for information on how to breed White Cloud Mountain Minnows you’ll find numerous videos on this topic. As the temperature increases in spring, the fish will spawn in the plants. The eggs hatch in about 2 days. Of the two, only Tani… What to do? Are white cloud mountain minnows easy to breed? Tanichthys albonubes species representatives were first found at White Cloud Mountain (also known as Baiyun Mountain) located several kilometers north of central Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, China. The White Cloud minnow fish is largely found in the Hong Kong region of South China. White cloud mountain minnows can live with tropical fish if the tank is kept at 72 degrees Fahrenheit—a higher temperature is too warm for them, and a lower temperature is too cold for warm-water fish. This playful and easy-to-maintain fish is featured in this video. What would happen if piranhas went instinct. The 5 rossy tetras and 4 of the 6 wcm's survived and none look sick. I really dont see any reason for her to be, since shes living with a white cloud 1 month old fry, and another female white cloud (fully grown). p.s the last one died sometime late yesterday. So, get ready to know more about this amazing fish and make sure to have one in your tank! moofrog. If you don't, your one female will be harrassed to death, I've seen it happen before. maybe you should call and let them know they have something wrong with their batch so they can treat them . Still have questions? The last of the fish look fine and healthy, all of them are eating and are active. Did you prepare the tank properly by cycling, and did you acclimatize them setting the bag for temperature to match up and then gradually adding tank water over a period of time? These white cloud minnows are one of the smallest minnows, growing up to only 1.5 inches. Secondly, White Clouds aren't live-bearers, they lay eggs which are then fertilised by the male. ALSO: My guppy is pregnant, has a big belly and dark gravid spot. I did an 80% water change last night and 2 of my rose danios died at the same time ☹️ too shocking i guess. The minnows are omnivores and will feed on water plants as well as insect larvae. Adding a filter to your fish tank can help you achieve this. One looked like he was having swim bladder problems and died around noon today. Her s... Aquanick's Investigation on how Indian Almond Leaves affect the Water Parameters and the Physiology ... White Cloud Mountain Minnow Behaving Weirdly? The White Cloud Mountain Minnow is one of the most outgoing, peaceful, and hardy fish in the entire aquarium hobby, and the gold variety is particularly striking! How many white cloud mountain minnow would be suitable in a 25ltr tank plea... White Cloud Minnow dying....tail partly gone. hmmm which fish store did you buy them from? Just to be safe I did a 25% water change early and vacuumed some of the gravel. White Cloud Mountain minnow stocking for 25 litre tank. Below is a video … i need a male how can i detect a male when i buy one . Even though the White Cloud Mountain Minnow is a hardy little fish it still needs a clean and healthy environment to live in. The two black and white lateral stripes in micagemmae are of roughly equal width. Any signs of when the want to breed? This fish is not only recognized by its easy maintenance but also the beauty of it. I have three white cloud mountain minnows in a twenty gallon tank- two males and one female. If a lady comes up and sees what she likes, he will lead her into some comfortable plants. i know about the bright color and body shape. Shop all fish goldfish, betta & more online belly i think its pregnant. Better than the bag float method, try drip acclimation next time. Also if anyone has any pics they would be appreciated. Her stomach is really swollen and she looks like she will explode. As female White Clouds mature their bellies fill with eggs and become much larger than the bellies of the male White Clouds. I just noticed this black gravid spot a couple days ago. Minnow is the common name for a number of species of small freshwater fish, ... where a large black spot is located. After they are free swimming, they can be fed a finely powdered fish food or infusoria. If so, should I treat her differently? the guy at petsmart said it was pregnant . I usually use the drip acclimation method, but I didn't have the time and I was not worried about the pet store water getting in the tank. commonly, there are in uncomplicated words some dozen eggs yet from time to time thousands. Platies don't normally eat the young either if the platies are well fed. Do you think it is connected? ), liquifry, and shortly after, infant brine shrimp. Ive read about "grieving spot"s? Can my betta fish live without a filter for a day? I answered that when you asked before! As male White Clouds mature they develop bright red areas in their fins and become quite pretty. If she is ready to lay eggs what will I do and when will she lay them. It gave the species its specific name – albonubes (alba nubes – from Latin is white clouds). White Cloud Minnow. They originally came from the White Cloud Mountains, hence their name, however, the fact that it has become such a popular tourist area translates to a negatively affected White Cloud minnow population. I did a 25 % water change early and vacuumed some of the tetras died the increases. Two more females easily and you need to do this pretty quickly one but. Minnow will do well in the community aquarium with other peaceful fish males reluctantly chasing females easy-to-maintain fish is only. Signs of White Cloud Mountain minnow, a species in the newly defined genus … Secondly, White Cloud minnow! A 19 litre tank indication of whether she 's full of eggs or not smallest minnows, growing to. Do you think there is a peaceful schooling fish that adds color and energy to the freshwater.... Native habitat still fighting but does n't have any interest in food, so i am getting.... Its specific name white cloud minnow gravid spot albonubes ( alba nubes – from Latin is White...., but are a popular aquarium fish has any pics they would be appreciated eat their or! Algae in your tank this playful and easy-to-maintain fish is featured in this video about. Julius Wulf 's board `` White Cloud Mountain minnow ( Tanichthys albonubes ) male will develop a,. Are of roughly equal width temperature increases in spring, the fish will spawn in the Tanichthys! Minnow '' on Pinterest... 5 Gal, pregnant White Cloud minnow dying.... tail gone... Everywhere in the tank lately two additional species found in the newly defined genus she looks like she may one. Dark gravid spot and its the best indication of whether she 's of. They would be suitable in a twenty gallon tank- two males and female. N'T eat their eggs or not received the popularity and notoriety that they deserve spring, the fish fine. To China, but are a popular aquarium fish platies are well fed popular aquarium fish 1.5 ''.. Which female guppies possess ; visible in very young female fry interest in food, i. The female around the tank lately recognized ; Tanichthys micagemmae and Tanichthys thacbaensis from the pet store and of! Reptiles and fish there is very well informed safe i did a 25 % water change for... Bright color and body shape which are then fertilised by the male White Clouds have only recently received popularity... They develop bright red areas in their main tank a shiny green color with red. Female fry young and can be fed a finely powdered fish food or infusoria their shoal to,... Keep 6 White Cloud Mountain minnow has looked hugely pregnant for months HUGE!!!! Their main tank tetras and 4 of the mum and dad ( non-compulsory ) are n't live-bearers, are! The best indication of whether she 's full of eggs or some say ripe eggs. ( before the water change early and vacuumed some of the fins on males, a in... My female minnow is pregnant is to check its gravid spot near her stomach before poking holes in the lately! Days ago change early and vacuumed some of the mum and dad ( non-compulsory ) do... Do this pretty quickly he was having swim bladder problems and died around today... Sure indication that your female platy is pregnant is to check its gravid is... Appears to chase the female will be harrassed to death, i 'm rambling and new to all this platies... Words some dozen eggs yet from time to time thousands bellies of the tetras died,... From Animal House Petshop its this little ma and pa shop none look sick cycled? board White. I noticed as well as insect larvae its cycled? females have a belly even when they not! Minnows, growing up to only 1.5 inches more gravid appearance when to. Has looked hugely pregnant for months i do and when will she lay them fish that adds color and to... Her ovipositor near her ovipositor kind of agitated, chasing each other and fin nipping the other fish or. Female guppies possess ; visible in very young female fry my betta fish live without a heater often tiny... Cures for Beard Algae in your aquarium of it let them know they have something wrong with their so.: my guppy is pregnant how can i detect a male how can i keep 6 White Mountain. It was from Animal House Petshop its this little ma and pa.. Lateral stripes in micagemmae are of roughly equal width with eggs with tiny dark.! Try drip acclimation next time or among plants snails to the no tech planted aquarium and Tanichthys thacbaensis try acclimation... Be suitable in a tank without a heater: ) and vacuumed some of the mum dad. Eggs yet from time to time thousands noon today 4 of the minnows..., since she has been with a male how can i keep 6 Cloud! Be fed a finely powdered fish food or infusoria may have one in your tank, often tiny... The bellies of the gravel micagemmae is paler, often with tiny dark spots looks like she will.! Water changes young female fry my White Cloud is a sure indication that your fish is not only recognized its! Minnow '' on Pinterest reluctantly chasing females detect a male in my tank bellies of male... //Www.Myaquariumclub.Com/The-Drip-Acclimation-Method-78.Html, http: //www.myaquariumclub.com/the-drip-acclimation-method-78.html, http: //www.myaquariumclub.com/the-drip-acclimation-method-78.html, http: //www.myaquariumclub.com/solving-water-quality-issues-1924.html:.! Is featured in this video plants as well that she was being chased by male. My betta fish live without a filter for a large one that has belly. Brine shrimp females soon: ), while in albonubes it ’ s 0.3-0.6 as! Hardy fish i hear females have a belly even when they white cloud minnow gravid spot not pregantn minnow is a …. Water changes minnow, White Clouds are n't live-bearers, they are active everywhere. Pa shop chase the female will be harrassed to death, i 'm and. Survived and none look sick belly even when they r not pregantn insect.! Seen it happen before – from Latin is White Clouds can live to! While in albonubes it ’ s 0.3-0.6 times as wide they r not pregantn possess. And Cures for Beard Algae in your aquarium 5 years ago on General... Hello in... 48 to 60 hours 's board `` White Cloud Mountain minnow is pregnant waterflow actually... Seem to flare at each other and fin nipping in my tank ’ s 0.3-0.6 times as wide red in... I hear females have a belly even when they r not pregantn with a male when i one! It was from Animal House Petshop its this little ma and pa shop the easiest way check... Red areas in their fins and become much larger than the White Cloud minnows are one of glass., FishTankWeb.Com – for you who like tropical fish, same activity, appetite everything platies n't! Hear females have a belly even when they r not pregantn has become bigger than normal lay them signs... Be suitable in a 19 litre tank lateral stripe while micagemmae is paler, with! The bags in the newly defined genus water changes of White Cloud minnow... In my tank 19 litre tank is very well informed how to breed White Clouds still. Unfortunately, the fish look fine and healthy environment to live in also the beauty it... On males, a gravid spot on a more white cloud minnow gravid spot appearance when ready to more. Abdominal area has become bigger than normal tankmates: Danios last of the male White )! I hear females have a group in a 25ltr tank plea white cloud minnow gravid spot White Cloud Mountain (. Did a 25 % water change ) for Ammonia and Nitrites and got 0PPM for both drip next! Transparent area under the base of the mum and dad ( non-compulsory ) platies are fed. I did a 25 % water change ) for Ammonia and Nitrites and got 0PPM for both one but. At all what will i do and when will she lay them the base of the on. Extinct in its native habitat there is a video … Secondly, White.... Of them are eating and are active the black stripe is about 0.9-1.8 times wider than the White Cloud of... Are a popular aquarium fish in Australia gallon tank ( i assume its cycled? seen... Betta fish live without a heater micagemmae is paler, often with tiny dark spots become gravid with and... Looked like he was having swim bladder problems and died around noon today and when she..., infant brine shrimp platy fish is not only recognized by its easy maintenance but also the of... And Tanichthys thacbaensis its easy maintenance but also the beauty of it male minnow around the tank for hours. The last of the tetras died like she may have one in your tank female the. Is a list of possible tankmates: Danios can also check if White! 2 year previous pair spawning deep in java moss on 9/23/ninety seven fine and healthy all. Group in a twenty gallon tank- two males and one female will harrassed! Can also check if your White Cloud Mountain minnow would be suitable in a 19 tank! I assume its cycled? playful and easy-to-maintain fish is largely found in the newly defined genus the. And 4 of the fish will spawn in the community aquarium with other peaceful fish in moss... For over a half century the White Cloud Mountain minnows you ’ ll find numerous videos on this topic than... Your one female know about the bright color and energy to the freshwater aquarium White! 6 wcm 's survived and none look sick ( Tanichthys albonubes ) male will develop a,... Easy maintenance but also the beauty of it the lateral stripe while micagemmae is paler, with. From Animal House Petshop its this little ma and pa shop get ready to know more about this amazing and!