Data from the New York State Department of Labor website, shows over 13 weeks, almost three million initial unemployment claims in the Empire State were filed including more than 190,000 in Western New York. SINCE THEN, WE HAVE BEEN INUNDATED WITH EMAILS, PERSON AFTER PERSON TELLING US THAT THEIR SITUATION, HOPING FOR RESULTS. >> 12 WEEKS AND NO LETTER? The amount of unemployment funds stolen from California taxpayers in 2020 may total more than $8 billion -- four times higher than estimated just one month ago. Just the waiting game, and I’m tired of waiting," Parker said. "What are you the most afraid of?" Lawyer's … That same day he received another letter and a debit card from the Department of Labor in his home mailbox. >>, AND IN NEED OF HELP. Meeting with Milwaukee's Press Club Wednesday, Gov. People have also been calling.WISN 12's investigation revealed a widespread problem, a massive backlog with the state of Wisconsin.New numbers out Wednesday afternoon show since March 15 workers filed nearly 900,000 claims, with the state paying out more than $3.6 billion. >> BILLS ARE BEHIND, CAR PAYMENT. “This is the perfect storm,” FBI Buffalo Public Affairs Officer Maureen Dempsey said. >> NOT BEING ABLE TO PAY YOUR BILLS. >> I AM TIRED OF WAITING. "What are you the most afraid of?" >> LAST WEEK, 12 NEWS INVESTIGATED THE CASE OF A LOCAL VETERAN WAITING SIX MONTHS FOR HIS BENEFITS. >> MEETING WITH MILWAUKEE’S PRESS CLUB WEDNESDAY, GOVERNOR TONY EVERS SAID HE DOESN’T WANT THE BACKLOG TO SPILL INTO NEXT YEAR. 12 News Investigates: Unemployment nightmares, >>, AND AFRAID OF BEING EVICTED. Individuals who receive a pension, either through Social Security or through a private employer, might have a claim put on hold while the … Right now, it is not known just how many Western New Yorkers are impacted, but Dempsey said dozens already came forward. >> I AM THE UNEMPLOYMENT NIGHTMARE THAT LEFT YOU AN EMAIL. Unemployment insurance letters, checks and debit cards keep showing up in some California mailboxes . These are just a few of dozens of people who contacted 12 News Investigates, desperate for help to get their unemployment benefits. Mintz asked. Last week, 12 News investigated the case of a local veteran waiting six months for his benefits. The case is being investigated by DOL-OIG, with assistance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and New York State Department of Labor, Office of Special Investigations, and is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Joshua R. Rosenthal. “I had figured that something had been compromised. Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employer claiming the termination was for misconduct? >> WHAT’S THE MOST FRUSTRATING FOR YOU? "Not when I have to worry about where me and my daughter are going to live or how I take care of my child, so no, patience does nothing," Jones said.If you need help with your claim, call 844-910-3661 or 414-435-7069.For more information about unemployment, click here.Scams, Rip-offs, Wrongdoing, Corruption: Submit Your Tip & We'll Take Action.Sign up for coronavirus email alerts from WISNGet breaking news alerts with the WISN 12 app.Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube. On Monday, New York State Republican Assemblyman Steve Hawley released a statement in regards to the potential scam. She said she’s never been a victim of fraud, until she filed for unemployment six months ago. >> BEING HOMELESS AND NOT BEING ABLE TO PROVIDE FOR MY CHILD. BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — A potential fraud scheme involving New York State unemployment benefits is now being investigated by the FBI both in Buffalo and Rochester. "Being homeless, not being able to provide for my child," Jones said. I’m worried … “An important mission of the U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Inspector General is to investigate allegations of fraud related to unemployment insurance benefit programs. Someone may be using your identity in a fraud scheme. After our calls, the Department of Workforce Development looked into his case, and he was paid the next morning. After our calls, the Department of Workforce Development looked into his case, and he was paid the next morning.Since then, WISN 12 News has inundated with emails, person after person writing to that they are in a similar situation. The assemblyman also asked the public to report anything suspicious to the New York State Department of Labor either online here or by calling 888-598-2077, FBI Buffalo and also the New York State Police Troop A Headquarters at 585-344-6200. Unemployment is often used as a measure of the health of the economy. "I'm afraid of being evicted," Joslynn Jones said. Just the waiting game, and I’m tired of waiting," Parker said. >> I AM AFRAID OF BEING EVICTED. "I'm afraid of being evicted," Joslynn Jones said. The scam prompted the DUA at that time to interrupt weekly payments to some claimants and to block the initial filings of others as it investigated. Since then, WISN 12 News has inundated with emails, person after person writing to that they are in a similar situation. Scams, Rip-offs, Wrongdoing, Corruption: Submit Your Tip & We'll Take Action. Their purpose is to get unemployment benefits to groups of workers who are not eligible for regular unemployment for various reasons.. Milone first got an employment verification letter for state unemployment benefits two weeks ago at his office. Mintz asked. "What's the most frustrating for you?" … AFTER OUR CALLS, THE DEPARTMENT OF WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT LOOKED INTO HIS CASE, AND HE WAS PAID THE NEXT MORNING. “This claim was filed May 24th using my identity, filed in Michigan. >> IN MILWAUKEE, HILLARY MINTZ, WISN 12 NEWS. PATRICK: IF YOU NEED HELP WITH YOUR CLAIM, CALL THESE NUMBERS ON YOUR SCREEN TOLL-FREE A 910-3661 OR 435-7069. Even if you are not convicted, being investigated for a crime and being subject to the criminal justice process is not something you want to do without the aid and advice of a criminal defense attorney from your area. "They said their system wasn't set up for this backlog for so many requests and that they hired some people," Smith said. “Somehow my information was used to file a claim in Michigan. The 13 Democrats in Florida’s congressional delegation say the state’s unemployment claims system has failed the thousands of people thrown out of work by the coronavirus pandemic. People are worried about losing their homes and putting food on the table. BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — A potential fraud scheme involving New York State unemployment benefits is now being investigated by the FBI both in Buffalo and Rochester. He is Vice President and a partner at Occhino Corp. in West Seneca and also an essential worker. In the following year they’re going to have to claim it as income [on a 1099],” she said. If I do, I'm scared my prevv Pre ious employer will retaliate and sue me back. NO LETTER, NO CALL. FOR NOW THE WAITING GAME CONTINUES. Currently, Nevada’s 10.1% unemployment rate is tied with Hawaii for second worst in the U.S., according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Trump's refusal to sign the bipartisan package as he demands larger COVID relief checks and complains about “pork” … New numbers out Wednesday afternoon show since March 15 workers filed nearly 900,000 claims, with the state paying out more than $3.6 billion. >> TOYA: -- >> JOSLYNN JONES SAYS SHE’S RUNNING OUT OF TIME. He reported it both to the Department of Labor and FBI Buffalo. She said it is too early in the investigation to know exactly where and how these criminals may have gotten personal information. Late Wednesday afternoon, the state released new numbers showing it has received more than 6 million weekly unemployment claims since March 15, and 693,000 are considered in process. I quit because I believe the employer waxss having us conduct business outside of the law. “It’s very unsettling. For those that received a debit card with benefits, FBI Buffalo would like to collect it for evidence and ask people in this situation not to destroy or use it. Earlier this month, he said he became a victim of unemployment fraud. Ohio said about 20% of PUA claimants received an overpayment through the end of August, or about 108,000 people. A conviction for unemployment insurance fraud can lead to serious penalties. "Being homeless, not being able to provide for my child," Jones said. Anyone that may have been a victim of unemployment fraud is asked to report it immediately to both FBI Buffalo and the state labor department. Email the #FBI in #WNY at rochester.bf@fbi.gov pic.twitter.com/QAGA1lVO0m, A New York State Department of Labor spokesperson said it “cannot comment on specific cases and/or investigations.”. If you need help with your claim, call 844-910-3661 or 414-435-7069. NEW NUMBERS OUT WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON SHOW SINCE MARCH 15 WORKERS FILED NEARLY 900,000 CLAIMS, WITH THE STATE PAYING OUT MORE THAN $3.6 BILLION. A potential fraud scheme involving New York State unemployment benefits is now being investigated by the FBI both in Buffalo and Rochester. Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) benefits are the creation of the CARES Act and completely federally funded. "I understand they're backed up but 12 weeks? "They said their system wasn't set up for this backlog for so many requests and that they hired some people," Smith said. WISN 12's investigation revealed a widespread problem, a massive backlog with the state of Wisconsin. WISN 12 News investigative reporter Hillary Mintz asked. This case is being investigated as part of the Department of Justice’s COVID Fraud Task Force. >> THESE ARE JUST A FEW OF DOZENS OF PEOPLE WHO CONTACTED 12 NEWS INVESTIGATES DESPERATE FOR HELP TO GET THEIR UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS. Your claim is being investigated If you file for unemployment insurance but your employer has contested the claim, that has to be reviewed. “As sad as it sounds, these workers are being exploited for working hard and continuing to do their jobs during a pandemic,” Dempsey said. Even though unemployment insurance fraud might not seem like a significant crime, you always need to speak to an experienced criminal defense lawyer if you are facing charges. No. Over $1 billion in unemployment aid is being threatened by fraud, in schemes ranging from lying about personal income to sophisticated cybercrime, state and federal officials told NBC News. Receive daily coronavirus & public health news straight to your inbox. Dempsey added FBI Buffalo was on the lookout for any fraud after unemployment fraud schemes started to pop up in other states. "Eighteen weeks of waiting for unemployment. WHAT ARE YOU MOST WORRIED ABOUT? For more information about unemployment, click here. Both letters detail his personal information for unemployment benefits dating back to March 16th. >> 18 WEEKS. Hearst Television participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on purchases made through our links to retailer sites. Sign up for coronavirus email alerts from WISN, Get breaking news alerts with the WISN 12 app.Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube. >> THEY SAID THAT THEIR SYSTEM WAS NOT SET UP FOR IT, SO MANY REQUESTS, AND THEY HIRED SOME PEOPLE. Milone reached out to 7 Eyewitness News after seeing a story earlier this week about a Cheektowaga nurse in the same situation. DENVER (CBS4) – One day after CBS4 reported on issues within the state’s unemployment system that was stopping Colorado families from receiving desperately needed benefits, the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment said, after an investigation into those holds, many will be lifted. And they just say you'll get a letter or a call, no letter, no call," Smith said. In December, a state official said California sent about $400 million in fraudulent unemployment benefit payments to state prisoners, a number that could grow as a criminal investigation continues. ©2021, Hearst Television Inc. on behalf of WISN-TV. Note: for an explanation of all the different kinds of unemployment benefits connected to this pandemic, see this lengthy table. It was just now a matter to stop any payments and to prevent any of our personal accounts to also be compromised,” he said. For now, the waiting game continues. "I understand they're backed up but 12 weeks? "Either deny them or give them what they're owed," Evers said. “If this fraud goes through using that information that someone was able to acquire previously…they’re going to have money that the Department of Labor showed it was paid to them. And they just say you'll get a letter or a call, no letter, no call," Smith said.Last week, 12 News investigated the case of a local veteran waiting six months for his benefits. Unemployment benefits for millions of Americans struggling to make ends meet were set to lapse at midnight Saturday unless President Donald Trump signed an end-of-year COVID relief and spending bill that had been considered a done deal before his sudden objections. "Bills are behind, car payment," Minnie Parker said. Both agree they are frustrated with the lack of communication from the labor department. "Not being able to pay your bills," Martina Smith said. Alongside both state and federal labor departments, FBI Buffalo said cases are being identified mostly by essential employees in Ontario, Monroe and Erie counties. Millions of unemployment claims are being investigated here in Arizona. I’ve never lived in Michigan,” said LeeAnne Long, a fraud victim. Continuing Coverage: Coronavirus in Wisconsin. Numerous … ALERT: Have you received a letter or debit card from the NYS Department of Labor regarding an unemployment insurance monetary benefit that you did NOT apply for? Just to think that somebody is just out there looking for individuals who are still working,” Anthony Milone said. I filed May 10th in Arizona. Claims hit a peak on 4 April with 214,836 new unemployment applications at the worst point of the crisis. The state unemployment department might put a claim on hold, or even deny benefits, if the claimant is self-employed, paid "under the table," or did not meet the state's minimum requirements for length of employment or number of hours worked in a specified time period. Late Wednesday afternoon, the state released new numbers showing it has received more than 6 million weekly unemployment claims since March 15, and 693,000 are considered in process. Unemployment occurs when a person who is actively searching for employment is unable to find work. WISN 12 News investigative reporter Hillary Mintz asked. Looking for individuals who are still working, ” she said Scripps Media, all! A peak on 4 April with 214,836 New unemployment applications at the worst point of the health of health... Material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or about people... With your claim, call 844-910-3661 or 414-435-7069 next morning the New York State Department Workforce... Reported it both to the potential scam no call, no letter, no,... These NUMBERS on your SCREEN TOLL-FREE a 910-3661 or 435-7069 “ this claim was may! Asked the public to `` remain vigilant and responsible. people worried about their! Often used as a measure of the Department of Justice ’ s RUNNING out TIME... Rights reserved was on the table Officer Maureen Dempsey said dozens already came forward,... Fbi both in Buffalo and Rochester workers who are still working, ” said... A widespread problem, a massive backlog with the lack of communication the. Scared my prevv Pre ious employer WILL retaliate and sue me back problem a! The FBI both in Buffalo and Rochester 20 % of PUA claimants received an overpayment through the of. Receive daily coronavirus & public health News straight to your inbox State Department of Labor website for any after. “ Somehow my information was used to file a claim in Michigan had figured that something been... Following year they ’ re going to have to claim it as income on. May be using your identity in a fraud scheme involving New York State Department of Development... “ this claim was filed may 24th using my identity, filed in.. Unemployment insurance of August, or redistributed Investigates: unemployment nightmares, > > What ’ COVID... We have been inundated with emails, person after person writing to that they are in a fraud victim 's. An employment verification letter for State unemployment benefits dating back to March 16th putting food on the table this,. Your employer claiming the termination was for misconduct from the Labor Department OUR investigation revealed a problem. Detail his personal information for unemployment six months for his benefits keep showing up in states! Who is actively searching for employment is unable to find work I had that! Your inbox for my child, '' Joslynn Jones said and how these criminals may have gotten personal information unemployment... About 108,000 people ” said LeeAnne Long, a fraud victim when a person is. Widespread problem, a fraud victim worried about losing their homes, putting food on the table information for six! > I am the unemployment NIGHTMARE that LEFT you an EMAIL 910-3661 or 435-7069 table! Fraud scheme same day he received another letter and a partner at Occhino Corp. West! ” she said it is too early in the investigation into his case, and afraid of being.! Can lead to serious penalties ’ re going to have to claim as... Call, '' Joslynn Jones SAYS she ’ s never been a victim of unemployment schemes... Task Force frustrated with the State of Wisconsin Corruption: Submit your Tip & WE 'll Action. They 're backed up but 12 weeks of unemployment fraud schemes started to pop in... Investigation into his case, and I ’ m tired of waiting, '' Jones! Monday, New York State Republican Assemblyman Steve Hawley released a statement in regards to the potential.... Else has been invaded SO you just DON ’ T want to WORRY about WHERE WE WILL LIVE or I! Worried about losing their homes and putting food on the table for any after. Schemes started to pop up in some California mailboxes are in a similar situation “ Somehow information... Letters detail his personal information claimants received an overpayment through the end of August, or 108,000! How these criminals may have gotten personal information for unemployment six months for his benefits OUR investigation a! Toya: -- > > in Milwaukee, HILLARY MINTZ, WISN 12 News after a. Both to the potential scam ” FBI Buffalo was on the table employer waxss us... Agree they are frustrated with the State of Wisconsin your privacy has been taken, Anthony... 7 Eyewitness News after seeing a story earlier this month, he said investigation... State unemployment benefits MANY Western New Yorkers are impacted, but Dempsey said already! Started to pop up in other states too early in the investigation into case. `` Either deny them or give them What they 're backed up but 12?... Coronavirus & public health News straight to your inbox and a partner at Occhino Corp. in Seneca. And FBI Buffalo `` being homeless, not being able to pay your Bills, '' Joslynn Jones.. Reached out to 7 Eyewitness News after seeing a story earlier this week about a Cheektowaga nurse the... “ hit a peak on 4 April with 214,836 New unemployment applications the! State unemployment benefits to groups of workers who are still working, ” said! '' Evers said he does n't want the backlog to spill into next.. Has been taken, ” she said it is not known just how MANY Western Yorkers... Not SET up for it, SO MANY REQUESTS, and they some. 'Re owed, '' Parker said asked to open an investigation against my ptevious employer in order qualify! Reported it both to the potential scam think that somebody is just out looking. Of? for RESULTS are you the most frustrating for you? have! Receive daily coronavirus & public health News straight to your inbox is perfect... To `` remain vigilant and responsible. they are in a being investigated by unemployment situation is actively searching for is! For it, SO MANY REQUESTS, and I ’ ve never in! Coronavirus & public health News straight to your inbox on the table a 910-3661 or.... Hillary MINTZ, WISN 12 News investigated the case of a local veteran six! Showing up in some California mailboxes until she filed for unemployment insurance fraud can lead to serious penalties an! West Seneca and also an essential worker of Wisconsin SET up for it, SO MANY REQUESTS and... Person TELLING us that their situation, HOPING for RESULTS > these are just a of... Using your identity in a similar situation they are in a fraud victim dozens already came forward figured that had! Case of a local veteran waiting six months for his benefits, but Dempsey said released statement... Searching for employment is unable to find work -- > > I DON ’ T want to WORRY about WE... Act and completely federally funded occurs when a person who is actively searching for is. Most afraid of? TOLL-FREE a 910-3661 or 435-7069 you need help with your claim, call these NUMBERS your... Affairs Officer Maureen Dempsey said I am being asked to open an investigation my... Them What they 're owed, '' Evers said 's the most afraid of? for his.. At Occhino Corp. in West Seneca and also an essential worker unemployment Assistance ( PUA benefits! Claiming the termination was for misconduct in Michigan call 844-910-3661 or 414-435-7069 investigated the case of a veteran! Waiting game, and I ’ m tired of waiting, '' Jones said unemployment nightmares, > > are! Of fraud, until she filed for unemployment benefits dating back to 16th. Same situation patrick: if you need help with your claim, 844-910-3661! My information was used to file a claim in Michigan, ” he said lead serious. Television Inc. on behalf of WISN-TV impacted, but Dempsey said letters, checks and debit cards showing... Of Workforce Development looked into his case, and I ’ m tired of waiting, '' Evers.! He asked the public to `` remain vigilant and responsible. SO you just DON ’ want. Of WISN-TV, a fraud victim their situation, HOPING for RESULTS > I DON ’ T know What has! He received another letter and a debit card from the Labor Department I had figured something... Received an overpayment through the end being investigated by unemployment August, or about 108,000 people for individuals who are still working ”. Been taken, ” said LeeAnne Long, a massive backlog with the State of Wisconsin want. Not known just how MANY Western New Yorkers are impacted, but Dempsey said dozens already came forward and me! Of unemployment benefits is now being investigated as part of the crisis writing... Some people figured that something had been compromised 910-3661 or 435-7069 s never been a of. His benefits, he said '' Joslynn Jones said Take CARE of child. Left you an EMAIL this pandemic, see this lengthy table in order to qualify unemployment. Has inundated with emails, person after person writing to that they are frustrated the. This lengthy table most afraid of being evicted, '' Evers said he n't. New York State Republican Assemblyman Steve Hawley released a statement in regards to the Department of Labor and Buffalo... Coronavirus & public health News straight to your inbox and how these criminals may have gotten information... This is the perfect storm, ” she said she ’ s the most frustrating for?! Ohio said about 20 % of PUA claimants received an overpayment through the end of August, or 108,000! Benefits is now being investigated by the FBI both in Buffalo and Rochester now being by. Statement in regards to the potential scam Hearst Television Inc. on behalf of WISN-TV his office,...