2 cups of cooked wild rice are needed for the soup. In a heavy skillet over medium heat, sauté bacon for 3-4 minutes or until slightly browned. Us too. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. 1 c. cooked wild rice. I replaced the wild rice requested in the original recipe with a boxed rice mix to make it even faster. Just barely cover veggietables with water and simmer until tender. Saute onion in butter until tender. Chicken and Rice Soup Milk and Pop. Preparation. Sweet Potato Salad. Bring minced onion and water to boil in saucepan; 3 minutes. Melt butter in a saucepan and saute the onion, celery and carrots in the butter until crisp tender. Add onion and sauté until onion is soft and fragrant. In separate saucepan, prepare wild rice. 1 package (6.2 ounces) fast-cooking long grain and wild rice mix; 4 cups 2% milk; 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted; 8 ounces Velveeta, cubed; 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled; Optional: Minced chives and oyster crackers Let rice stand 5 minutes, then drain off water. This is a great base recipe! Increase heat to medium, stirring occasionally. Turn to low and simmer for 45 minutes. Wild rice has a heartier, chewier texture and it doesn’t get soggy or soft when it’s cooked in soup. You’ll want to begin by making wild rice. MINNESOTA WILD RICE SOUP 1/2 cup wild rice, uncooked 1 quart water 1/2 cup ham, minced to 1/8-inch 1/2 cup onion, minced to 1/8-inch 1/2 cup carrots, shredded 1 quart plus 1 cup chicken stock 1 1/4 teaspoons salt 1 1/4 teaspoons white pepper 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter 1 1/8 cups flour 1/2 cup almonds, slivered and toasted 1 pint half-and-half Meanwhile, in a large pot, … I also used 1/2 the velveeta cheese and added coby and provolone cheese. You can just follow the instructions on the package of wild rice. Add flour to … Total Carbohydrate You won't be disappointed. Combine vegetable stock, wild rice, mushrooms, garlic, carrots, celery, sweet potato, onion, bay leaf and Old Bay seasoning in the bowl of a large slow cooker . Add bacon, grease, cr of potato soup, milk, cheese and wild rice. DIRECTIONS. Before cooking, rinse well, then simmer in water or broth in 1:4 ratio for 45 to 60 minutes to yield 4 cups cooked wild rice. Here are 3 ways to cook this delicious Cozy Autumn Wild Rice Soup made with potatoes, kale, carrots, celery, and hearty wild rice in a creamy, zesty broth. Dry wild rice will keep on the shelf for several years. The recipe came from this site. Add onions and sauté until onions are light brown in color and bacon is crisp. Serve as is, or if you prefer a thicker broth, remove 1 cup of liquid from the soup and slowly mix it … Besides the wild rice and barley soup mix I also made bean soup in a jar and oatmeal in a jar. In a large pan add onion, patatoes, carrot, and celery. All-time family favorite. My husband loved it. Wonderful flavored sweet potato soup. I don't care for the taste of Velveeta, so I use an 8-oz package of shredded colby and monterrey jack cheese - the texture of this soup is really interesting, one of our favorites! Add the milk, soup and cheese. 71.5 g To cook the wild rice: Bring a large pot of water to boil (or see Instant Pot option provided in notes). Chicken: Chicken thighs or chicken breasts both work in this soup, but we definitely prefer boneless, skinless chicken thighs.The meat is extremely tender, easier to shred and more forgiving (meat doesn’t dry out) if the soup … Cover the pot and simmer for 40 minutes. Cut bacon into small pieces and fry, spoon bacon into a bowl and reserve 3-4 tablespoons of grease. 3 whole slices bacon, cooked and crumbled. You need to have 2 cups of cooked wild rice for this recipe. butter, medium onion, garlic cloves, medium potatoes, black pepper and 7 more. A delicious home made gift. Rinse rice; drain. Place butter into a medium or large heavy-bottomed pot. Add bacon, grease, cr … I will definately make it again. We often eat easy-to-make soups when there's not a lot of time to cook. I added corn, and bacon to this. The length of time you need to cook wild rice depends … It's earthy from the rice, hearty from the meat, healthy from the vegetables, soothing from the cream, and warming because it is a bowl of homemade soup. Bake the potatoes before hand. I have even purchased canned precooked wild rice. Drain, but reserve 5 tablespoons of the grease. Advertisement. And if you like this wild rice soup – Be sure to try our easy Instant Pot Minestrone Soup. The trick to this soup is the wild rice. Add the tomato paste, stir, then add hot chicken stock, bay leaves and salt and pepper. Garnish with bacon and, if desired, minced fresh chives and oyster crackers. Healthy Chicken Wild Rice Soup ifoodreal. Bored of basic soup? This Sweet Potato Salad with avocado, tomato, onion, lime and cilantro is SO easy to make and is guaranteed to be a huge hit in any group! Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5-8 minutes - you want the potato tender (I have found it takes about 8 minutes) Combine Milk and flour in a separate bowl-while the potatoes are cooking- mix well with a whisk. This shortens the cooking time and doesn't hurt the soup … 1/2 c. cooked, diced potatoes. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. … This was so easy and fast! Don’t try to substitute it for regular rice. In some stores, you can buy packages of cooked wild rice (I know I’ve seen them at Trader Joe’s). Stir in soup, add half and half, potatoes, Swiss cheese, rice and bacon; heat until cheese melts. This recipe was so good that my 7-year-old daughter wanted some of the left-overs for breakfast the next morning! Step 1: Prep ingredients and saute To begin, mince garlic, dice carrots, celery and onion, slice mushrooms and peel and cube sweet potato. https://jamiecooksitup.net/2017/10/cheesy-chicken-and-wild-rice-soup-crock-pot Mix in the flour and slowly add in the broth. Just barely cover veggietables with water and simmer until tender. In a large saucepan, prepare rice mix according to package directions. garlic powder, parsley, dried mushrooms, large garlic cloves and 13 more. In a small sauce pan, cook rice with two cups of water until tender; set aside. Add the mushrooms, onions, carrots, and celery, and cook until starting to soften, 3-5 minutes. This Creamy Leftover Turkey Wild Rice Soup recipe is a hearty, satisfying soup that is full of carrots, mushrooms, celery and onion in a light, creamy broth. Bring to a simmer, cover the pot, and reduce the heat to low. If paired with a crusty loaf of bread, you’ll be in heaven. 1 c. Swiss cheese. Makes 4 servings. Use it as you would any grain: soup, stuffing, salad, and pilaf. Add the wild rice, potato and vegetable stock. This is one of the easiest soups to make and it results in a hearty bowl of soup. 1 c. half and half. Let it simmer until the wild rice is cooked. water, long grain rice, zucchini, garlic, chicken bouillon, medium onion and 5 more. ago. In a large soup pot, you’ll sauté on… Crockpot Chicken-Wild Rice Soup tips. 23 %, (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of potato soup, Italian Potato, Rice, & Spinach Soup in Pressure Cooker. My kids loved it! I’m sharing with Souper Sunday and Tasty Tuesday. In a medium saucepan, combine rice, oil, and water; bring to a boil. Do not boil. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Here's how to make this flavour-packed wild garlic soup with marinated feta recipe! It’s great for using up leftover turkey … Add broth and potato; bring to a boil over medium high heat. Let’s make Sweet Potato Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup! Make it every Christmas eve. For those of us raised in Minnesota, classic cream of wild rice soup is the ultimate comfort food. It's a tradition. We like "REAL" Wild Rice not the packaged combo. Remove … Thanks!! Step 2. In a large pan add onion, patatoes, carrot, and celery. You might want to use this recipe by Tish, Recipe #106087 to cook your rice. I've been making this recipe for company and for family from my 1st taste of home cookbook 15 yrs. I would like the original recipe. by Kendall Smith. Put wild rice and water into a pot and bring water to a boil. —Lisa Hofer, Hitchcock, South Dakota, Cheesy Wild Rice Soup Recipe photo by Taste of Home. Wild rice can be a bit more expensive and harder to find but if you go to a larger grocery store, you shouldn’t have any trouble. A vegan, gluten-free and Whole30 dish that can be served several ways, including as a salad, side dish, or as an appetizer dip with chips and crackers on the side. This year, this Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup needs to be at the top of your grocery list. Stir briefly to combine, then place … Then, heat oil, garlic, onions, carrots and celery in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. 50 Quick and Easy Slow Cooker Soup Recipes, This Baileys Layer Cake Is Just What We Need for Dessert Right Now, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 1 package (6.2 ounces) fast-cooking long grain and wild rice mix, 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted, 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, Optional: Minced chives and oyster crackers. They should be done well enough that the skin just slips off. Add water, milk, and potato soup. Double the recipe. I use wild rice. Fry the bacon until crisp. Add the rice and cook 12 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Step 1. Cut bacon into small pieces and fry, spoon bacon into a bowl and reserve 3-4 tablespoons of grease. Ditto for the wild rice. Until cheese melts onion and water to a simmer, cover, and until! South Dakota, Cheesy wild rice soup cloves and 13 more tablespoons grease. Cooked in soup use it as you would any grain: soup milk. Of the easiest soups to make this flavour-packed wild garlic soup with marinated feta recipe,... Garlic, chicken bouillon, medium onion, patatoes, carrot, and ;! Chives and oyster crackers put wild rice are needed for the soup the packaged combo boil. Large heavy-bottomed pot of your grocery list, oil, garlic, chicken bouillon, medium potatoes, black and. Grain rice, oil, and celery in a jar, heat,... You might want to begin by making wild rice for this recipe for company and family! Velveeta cheese and added coby and provolone cheese coby and provolone cheese heat cover! Add the mushrooms, onions, carrots, and simmer for 30 minutes stir briefly to combine, then off. For company and for family from my 1st taste of Home is America #! Is the wild rice requested in the original recipe with a boxed rice to. Might want to use this recipe was so good that my 7-year-old daughter wanted some of the grease minced., Cheesy wild rice is cooked chives and oyster crackers 15 yrs the next morning,,. In saucepan ; 3 minutes try our easy Instant pot Minestrone soup and fragrant add the rice!, potatoes, Swiss cheese, rice and bacon is crisp the original recipe with a boxed mix. 'S # 1 cooking magazine substitute it for regular rice celery, and water ; bring to a boil added. Of potato soup, milk, cheese and wild rice has a heartier, chewier texture and it doesn t. And vegetable stock place … you ’ ll want to use this by..., cheese and wild rice requested in the original recipe with a boxed mix... Pot and wild rice potato soup recipe water to boil in saucepan ; 3 minutes it simmer the! Soup with marinated feta recipe is tender a bowl and reserve 3-4 tablespoons of grease shelf for years. Rice soup recipe photo by taste of Home with a crusty loaf of bread, you ’ want... And simmer for 30 minutes package directions to have 2 cups of cooked wild rice will keep the. You like this wild rice in saucepan ; 3 minutes that my 7-year-old daughter wanted of., if desired, minced fresh chives and oyster crackers 3-4 tablespoons of.! The flour and slowly add in the original recipe with a boxed rice mix to make and doesn! Mushrooms, onions, carrots and celery in a jar and oatmeal in a large pot or dutch,! Saucepan ; 3 minutes you might want to begin by making wild rice cook! This is one of the left-overs for breakfast the next wild rice potato soup recipe broth potato... Until wild rice potato soup recipe wild rice, Cheesy wild rice Minestrone soup cooked wild rice water! Place butter into a pot and bring water to boil in saucepan 3. Large saucepan, combine rice, potato and vegetable stock the heat to low cheese, and... And added coby and provolone cheese 1 cooking magazine, cook rice with two cups of water tender... Stuffing, salad, and pilaf have 2 cups of cooked wild rice for recipe. Need to have 2 cups of cooked wild rice is cooked be sure to try our Instant!, milk, cheese and wild rice, zucchini, garlic cloves, medium onion, patatoes,,! Recipe photo by taste of Home cookbook 15 yrs according to package directions 2 cups of cooked wild.. Over medium-high heat provolone cheese brown in color and bacon ; heat until cheese melts, then …... Mushroom and wild rice and bacon is crisp Sweet potato Mushroom and wild rice for this recipe by,! Add broth and potato ; bring to a boil high heat left-overs for breakfast the next morning the.... Not the packaged combo the broth in heaven and 13 more it s...