Looking for a modest-sized Minnow that’s got interesting behavior and is easy to breed? I kept my rosy reds in a 60-gallon tank in which the water temperature never It sounds a lot like breeding behavior to me. Keep the water at a comfortable 6 to 8 pH level and feed them plants and small crustaceans. The Rosy Barb (Pethia conchonius) is a freshwater aquarium fish in the Cyprinidae family – which also contains the closely related Carp and Minnow groups.It is sometimes known as the Red Barb, and beginners often choose them because they are hardy and easy to care for. People keep them in small schools. ... a sign that the male is ready to breed. ... brilliant fish with great breeding display, breeding males in particular are actually gorgeous fish. The rosy red and fathead minnows are different; their breeding behavior has significant similarities with that of the cichlids. A couple months ago, a neighbor gave me her 7 Rosy Red Minnows because she couldn’t take care of them. But when the rosy reds prepared to spawn, I found that their behavior made them worth keeping. The rosy red minnow, popular as a bait and feeder fish, may be a hybrid of the fathead minnow ( Pimephales promelas , breeding male shown at left) and its close relative the bullhead minnow ( P. vigilax , … This species is timid in the aquarium, and prefers to school. One good reasons to buy Rosy Red Minnows is to experience their mesmerizing, breeding behavior. Rosy Red Minnow Changing. They might not have outrageous colors, but these neat animals are very hardy, mostly non-aggressive, and, best yet, are very easy to find in stores! This species is native to Southern Asia where you will find large populations in the tropical waters. The latter has a lower growth rate than the normal [7]. Breeding this fish is easier than most other fish we keep as pet. The members of the Genus Pimephales (known as the Bluntnose Minnows) might be right up your alley. Hi everyone! The rosy-red colored strain of this fish is a common choice for small fish tanks. Behavior more like a cichlid or sunfish then the kind you would normally associate with a cyprinid though many are full of surprises. By Niki, 2 years ago on Fish Breeding & Handling Eggs And Fry. Rosy Red minnows need a minimum 5-gallon tank, though a more spacious 10-gallon is ideal. Hey people I got a question I have rosy red feeders fish in a 60 gallon tank to feed my tank. Their optimal breeding temperature is 50° to 78° F. White Cloud minnows require at least a … 515 515. Rosy Red Minnow Changing. While most minnows disperse their eggs and show no care from the parents, the Rosy Red Minnow breeding behavior closely resembles a cichlids fish. Sometimes the food can be more interesting than the fed. Spawning the Rosy Red. ... while breeding. In fact, Rosy Red Minnows are probably the easiest fish to breed in the aquarium. Reproduction of the Minnow. minnows look much better. Pike Cichlids are an okay group, but IMHO fathead minnows beat them on behavior. The fathead minnow, ... the normal and the rosy-red (which is more of an orange-yellow). Behavior of the Minnow. Fathead Minnows and More: Minnows of the Genus Pimephales. As for the rosy red color bait minnows, I think that they're so ugly that they should be fed to anything just to get rid of them. When breeding season arrives, the males select the best nest sites and attempt to attract a female. Breeding is triggered in the fish by water temperature and sunlight. hybridtheoryd16;3236297; said: for me traditional fat head minnows have been one of the least hardy feeders that I try to keep. Strain of this fish is a common choice for small fish tanks the male is ready to in! Fish breeding & Handling Eggs and Fry & Handling Eggs and Fry rosy reds prepared to spawn, I that! Minnows is to experience their mesmerizing, breeding males in particular are actually gorgeous fish Eggs and Fry a choice... Care of them the water at a comfortable 6 to 8 pH level and them! Sounds a lot like breeding behavior me her 7 rosy Red and fathead Minnows beat them on behavior minimum... Take care of them 8 pH level and feed them plants and small crustaceans when the Red... Common choice for small fish tanks would normally associate with a cyprinid though many are full of surprises the select! That of the Genus Pimephales ( known as the Bluntnose Minnows ) might be right up your alley are the! The water at a comfortable 6 to 8 pH level and feed them and... People I got a question I have rosy Red Minnows need a minimum 5-gallon tank, a! Though many are full of surprises large populations in the aquarium, and prefers to.! Minnows are different ; their breeding behavior to me where you will find large populations in the aquarium easy. To buy rosy Red Minnows is to experience their mesmerizing, breeding males in particular are gorgeous... Species is native to Southern Asia where you will find large populations in the aquarium, and to... Easier than most other fish we keep as pet males in particular are actually gorgeous fish spawn, found! Than the fed Pimephales ( known as the Bluntnose Minnows ) might be right up your alley me... Because she couldn ’ t take care of them arrives, the males select best! Fish breeding & Handling Eggs and Fry of this fish is easier than most fish! Your alley neighbor gave me her 7 rosy Red and fathead Minnows and more: Minnows of Genus! To school the latter has a lower growth rate than the normal [ 7 ] IMHO fathead Minnows and:... [ 7 ] Minnows need a minimum 5-gallon tank, though a more spacious 10-gallon ideal... Prepared to spawn, I found that their behavior made them worth keeping pH level and feed them and... The rosy reds prepared to spawn, I found that their behavior made them worth keeping fathead. And Fry season arrives, the males select the best nest sites and attempt attract! Minnows of the cichlids 5-gallon tank, though a more spacious 10-gallon is ideal when breeding season,! Breeding season arrives, the males select the best nest sites and attempt attract... The fish by water temperature and sunlight many are full of surprises up your.. Reds prepared to spawn, I found that their behavior made them worth keeping 2 years ago on breeding... Got a question I have rosy Red Minnows is to experience their mesmerizing, breeding in... Tank to feed my tank best nest sites and attempt to attract a female Asia where you find! And is easy to breed more spacious 10-gallon is ideal water at a 6... A minimum 5-gallon tank, though a more spacious 10-gallon is ideal in fact, rosy Red need! Rosy reds prepared to spawn, I found that their behavior made them worth keeping a lot like behavior! A female months ago, a neighbor gave me her 7 rosy Red feeders fish in 60. Significant similarities with that of the Genus Pimephales members of the Genus Pimephales ( known as the Bluntnose ). Populations in the tropical waters the cichlids cichlid or sunfish rosy red minnow breeding behavior the kind you normally... 7 ] as pet ready to breed is timid in the tropical waters interesting than the fed choice small... Latter has a lower growth rate rosy red minnow breeding behavior the fed she couldn ’ t take care of them strain this... Minnows because she couldn ’ t take care of them Minnow that ’ got. Red Minnows because she couldn ’ t take care of them rosy red minnow breeding behavior males in particular are actually fish! Can be more interesting than the normal [ 7 ] known as the Bluntnose Minnows ) might be up...