https://amazingribs.com/.../pork-recipes/how-make-smoked-bacon-home How We Make $8000+ A Month Online While Homesteading. For the first time that I can remember, I actually had the bag break open on me and drain out liquid. Your email address will not be published. It tasted even better as part of sandwich, where that sweetness was even more welcomed when paired with a spicy remoulade and peppery arugula. Maple Bacon Recipe Ingredients. Remove as much air as possible from the bag before sealing, then mix around the liquid so that the belly is completely covered. Coat entire pork belly with the cure and place in a large resealable plastic bag. Homemade bacon is super easy and incredibly delicious! Since I don't eat a lot of sugar-cured bacon, it was confusing at first for the initial flavor to be of sweet maple syrup, but that taste was really great as the saltiness and meatiness came in and made everything balanced and delicious, in my opinion. Ingredients: 2 oz. Making homemade smoked bacon is a several day process, but it is totally worth it. Published on Thu Jul 9, 2020 by Joshua Bousel. Remove pork from foil and slice across the grain in 1/4-inch thick slices. I adjusted my meat slicer to my desired thickness, which was between the standard bacon size and the thick-cut varieties—unless I have a need for thinner or thicker cuts, I like this happy medium I can get with my homemade bacons. Once all sliced, I divided up the bacon into portions suitable for one-time use. Just a note that I think you should mention using thick-cut bacon… So far I've stuck with dry curing bacon, and while there was a liquid in this recipe from the use of maple syrup, it's still considered a dry cure. Combine the water, salt, sugar, pink salt, maple syrup, sage, thyme, and garlic cloves in a stockpot. Remove pork from cure and place in large container. Homemade Hickory Smoked Bacon At the end of the five days, the belly felt much firmer than when it started, which is a good indicator that the cure did its job and it was time for smoking. This recipe works with or without a smoker! Place the bacon slices in a single layer in a cold, heavy skillet. Store leftover bacon in Ziploc or vacuum sealed bags in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 4 months. You can use a small amount of liquid smoke or even, 3/4 teaspoon pink curing salt (Prague Powder #1). Homemade bacon is the best thing that I have ever made. Actual maple bacon sounds like a great foundation for the scone! Combine the brown sugar and maple syrup in a bowl or small saucepan. I can imagine a ton of other instances where a sweet tinged bacon like this would be the ideal choice, so it's safe to safe that the maple cure is going to remain in my standard rotation. Jump to Recipe Print Recipe. And the texture. My wife doesn't much care for savory-sweet things, while I do. Bacon. Homemade Smoked Maple Cured Bacon Recipe is easy to prepare and you get the reward of enhanced flavor, avoiding chemicals that can be present on commercial bacon. Place the bag on a baking dish to catch possible leaks, and allow it to cure in the refrigerator for 1 week, flipping it over and moving around the liquid each day. It is so fantastic. It is like the angels opened the heavens and delivered it to me. Kosher salt (about 1/4 cup) 2 tsp. I had bought the belly boneless, but it did have the skin on, so I removed that first and used it to make some killer chicharrones. That factors into my shopping decisions from time-to-time, like my choice of bacon—I would opt to pick up a sweet cured bacon occasionally if I was cooking for just myself, but knowing the wife wouldn't love it and that I'd be perfectly happen with the standard bacon, I never buy the stuff. Leaving the skin on the pork belly, cut against the grain into 4 to 6 slabs so they fit inside the bucket, … … It also can … My first use for this maple-cured bacon was in fried green tomato BLTs, a recipe you'll have to wait just one more week for. A Modern Homestead may earn a commission for purchases made after clicking links on this page. In a medium bowl combine the brown sugar, kosher salt, honey, cayenne, paprika, cumin, and curing salt, stirring until well mixed. Pat it dry with paper towels or a clean dishcloth. Cook over medium heat, flipping over a couple of times, for about 8 to 12 minutes until crisp. If you scale up, be sure to count the maple syrup as liquid so this recipe has 1.25 cups of liquid. Remove pork belly from smoker and let cool. Since it was, I took the belly out of the smoker and let it rest until it came down to about room temperature, Then it got wrapped in plastic and put in the fridge to chill completely so it would be easier to slice. Rub the seasoning mixture into all sides of … Place bacon in an oven-safe dutch oven or large high-sided oven-safe skillet; set skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon slices to a crisp. If you wish, you can use Steens Cane Sugar, pancake syrup, sorghum, honey, Lyle's Golden Syrup, or molasses. This was probably the simplest cure I've devised to date for any curing project I've undertaken—it was just maple syrup, brown sugar, kosher salt, and curing salt. Combine all ingredients other than pork belly in a bowl and mix together. No joke! Bake for six minutes, flip, then finish baking for another six minutes. Try our easy to follow maple-glazed bacon recipe. Smoke the bacon for 3+ hours or until the internal temperature of the bacon reaches 150 degrees F. Add a handful of wood chips a couple of times during the smoking process. « 7 Plants That Will Attract Birds to Your Yard. Store leftover bacon in Ziploc or vacuum sealed bags in the refrigerator for up to … While she still ate all the bacon given to her, I knew this wasn't going to be her favorite, but to me, it was incredible. After making my own bacon, I can no longer eat that stuff that passes for bacon in the big box grocery stores. I commonly put my curing meats in a separate drawer or container just in case this happens, even though it previously never did, so there was actually some satisfaction in the fact that this extra precaution I take finally showed it was worth it, even though cleaning up the sticky mess was not fun. The most important ingredient besides the pork belly, is the Pink Curing Salt. Place in the coldest part of … Cut bacon into slices at desired width and cook using your favorite method. I used my standard grilling process to cook up the bacon for the sandwiches, which involved creating a two-zone fire and roasting the bacon on the cool side of the grill, covered, until it darkened and crisped. The goal for bacon is to cook it to 150°F, which is not fully cooked, but enough time for it to absorb smoke and further firm up. Brush the warmed sugar mixture over the bacon strips. Remove from the heat and refrigerate until chilled … This recipe popped into my inbox the day I was looking for a good maple bacon scone recipe. I use real maple syrup in this recipe, but it is expensive. Rod has been making homemade bacon … I vacuum sealed them up and placed them in freezer until I was ready to use—the defrost time for packets like these is pretty quick in the fridge, super fast if you set the bag in a bath of cold water. I used my trusty CyberQ to monitor the temperature of the belly during the cook, and once it hit the 150°F mark after about one and half hours of smoking, I double checked the temperature at multiple points with my Thermapen to ensure it was truly cooked evenly all over. Smoked Maple Bacon. Fire up smoker or grill to between 200-225°F, adding 1-2 fist-size chunks of smoking wood on top of the coals when at temperature. Curing your own bacon, at least once, is a great experience for any meat enthusiast. Things look overly smoky in the photo because this was taken right after lighting the fire and wood, but soon after covering the smoker, the stream of smoke changed to the usual barely visible, but very aromatic, light wisps instead of billows. 3 lb. Once you've had homemade, you'll never want commercial bacon again! After bacon is done curing, remove it from the bag, give it a rinse to remove excess salt, and pat it dry. In a small bowl, mix together syrup, salt, dark brown sugar, and pink salt. Homemade bacon is as different from Oscar Mayer as Grace Kelly is from Kim Kardashian. Coat entire pork belly with the cure and place in a large resealable plastic bag. If you like bacon, you will LOVE Homemade Maple Bourbon Jalapeno Bacon! Wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until completely chilled. Remove pork belly from bag and wash any large deposits of salt under cold running water. With delicious maple frosting, fresh cooked bacon and a moist cake base, it's just like the best of having breakfast - for … Although its a fairly lengthy process (at least, compared to running to the store and just buying some), it is a wholly satisfying one, and in addition to the sense of achievement it also yields some tasty rewards. Scaling. It is a must try. Oh, how wrong I was. I ended up creating three bags that had about eight slices each in it. Then, drain the cooked bacon on paper towels. After both sides are coated with the spicy maple glaze, pop the bacon back into the oven. Combine the maple syrup, salt, pepper, and curing salt (if using) in a small bowl. I know “MAKIN’ BACON” is cheesy, but bacon is so incredibly delicious it makes you do cheesy things. Boom. Method We like to smoke the bacon with apple or hickory for two to three hours at around 200℉. Next I transferred the belly to a Ziploc bag and placed it the fridge for five days of curing. This recipe uses a maple syrup and instant espresso powder rub with the cure, and then hot smoked over hickory wood. Procedure. My wife saw the plate of bacon sitting out and dug into a slice and instantly asked, "Why is this sweet?" Even though it's not grilling, I feel like I need to share my pork rind process because I've been making them more often lately and they're really stellar when freshly fried at home and you can enjoy them while still crackling right after being taken out of the hot oil. Our recipe for Homemade Maple Bacon Cupcakes is so easy to make from scratch. Cure #1 (aka pink salt, InstaCure #1, Prague Powder #1) 1/4 C. Maple sugar or packed brown sugar; 1/4 C. Maple syrup; 5 lb. When I was picking a couple of directions to go with my homemade bacon endeavors recently, I thought this was a good chance for me to delve into the savory-sweet territory by way of maple-cured bacon, knowing I was also making another batch of bacon utilizing a spice cure that would satisfy my wife's palette, so we'd both come out on the other side happy bacon eaters. Add diced onion to the bacon grease in the skillet and cook for 3 minutes over medium heat. This took around ten minutes total and I flipped the bacon regularly during that time to ensure it was browning evenly. In a small bowl, mix together syrup, salt, dark brown sugar, and pink salt. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until completely chilled. Remove pork belly from smoker and let cool. There’s true smoked flavor, and in this particular recipe, there are sweet maple high notes and a hint of earthiness from the espresso. Remove bacon from skillet with a slotted spoon and set aside. 2 teaspoons pink curing salt (aka Prague Powder #1). Refrigerate bacon to cool completely before slicing. I’m not just talking about cooking up some slices of bacon. Make your own bacon at home by curing it yourself! Maple Bacon Biscuits from the Huckleberry Cafe in Santa Monica, CA — Recipe - Creative Culinary - A Denver, Colorado Food Blog - Sharing food through recipes and photography. contains nitrates, which produce nitrites during the curing process, positioning your hot coals and wood opposite of your meat, Easy Royal Icing Recipe for Decorating Cookies, Gluten Free Squash Flour GAPS and Paleo Chocolate Cake, If you’ve got a charcoal grill, you can set it up for indirect heat. Add enough fresh water to fully submerge loin. Pour mixture into a 1-gallon Ziploc bag and add the pork belly. Homemade bacon … Place in the coldest part of the refrigerator and cure for 5 days, flipping bag about every 12 hours. If you’ve need a fun garnish for Bloody Marys at brunch, I’m insisting that you try one with the spicy maple glazed bacon. ©2021 Joshua Bousel, All rights reserved. Heat just until warm (stovetop or microwave). says: … Cut bacon into slices at desired width and cook using your favorite method. Bring to a simmer and stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Homemade bacon isn't complicated, it just requires a little time commitment and a few common ingredients. Smoke at 200-225° F until bacon reaches an internal temperature of 150° F. This should take 2-3 hours depending on your smoker’s temperature and the thickness of the pork belly. I'm going to detail my steps for you here so you can follow the process with my two recipes for a maple cure and a sweet and spicy peppered cure. I flipped the bag over twice a day to ensure the belly cured evenly throughout the process. Absolutely delicious with the best ingredients from Woolworths. This is done by, While using an oven is not traditional and you will miss out on that authentic smoked flavor and color, I’m sure the final product would still be delicious. I washed off any excess cure and then placed this belly, along with the spice-cured one, in the smoker running at around 215°F. This last week I’ve been MAKIN’ BACON and I couldn’t be happier to share this homemade bacon recipe with you. Rinse the pork belly with cool water and pat dry with paper … Working in batches, cook … It also gives you control of what exactly is going into the bacon, the degree of quality of the pork itself and of course, the flavoring and level of s… slab of pork belly, without skin; 1/4 cup kosher salt; 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper; 1/4 cup brown sugar; 1/4 cup maple syrup; 3/4 teaspoon pink curing salt … I applied this cure all over the the two and half pound piece of pork belly I had procured to turn into bacon. The darker grades have more flavor. Nope, I’m talking about homemade bacon that starts with a slab of meat that is rubbed with a cure, smoked, sliced and then cooked. When wood is ignited and producing smoke, place pork belly in smoker, fat side up, and smoke until an instant read thermometer registers 150°F when inserted into thickest part of the meat. Bake the bacon in the preheated oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until nicely browned and slightly crisp. About the maple syrup. Midnight theme by A Modern Homestead. Liquid smoke or even, 3/4 teaspoon pink curing salt the the two and half pound piece pork... Flip, then finish baking for another six minutes, for about 8 to 12 minutes until.. For one-time use on this page can remember, I actually had the bag before,... Bacon sitting out and dug into a slice and instantly asked, `` Why this. Will LOVE homemade maple bacon scone recipe you like bacon, at least,... Delivered it to me and mix together syrup, salt, dark brown sugar, and curing salt ( using... Bag break open on me and drain out liquid is completely covered your own bacon, at once... Ten minutes total and I flipped the bag before sealing, then mix around the liquid this! A large resealable plastic bag flipped the bag break open on me and drain out liquid dark brown sugar and. Sugar and maple syrup eat that stuff that passes for bacon in the and! And wash any large deposits of salt under cold running water the two! A commission for purchases made after clicking links on this page small bowl mix... Suitable for one-time use from cure and place in refrigerator until completely chilled my inbox the day I looking. Heat, flipping over a couple of times, for about 8 12! //Amazingribs.Com/... /pork-recipes/how-make-smoked-bacon-home Smoked maple bacon scone recipe sides are coated with the cure place! For about 8 to 12 minutes until crisp, while I do know “ MAKIN ’ ”... The bacon with apple or hickory for two to three hours at 200℉., adding 1-2 fist-size chunks of smoking wood on top of the refrigerator and cure for 5,. Time that I have ever made and placed it the fridge for five days of curing is n't,! Recipe uses a maple syrup, salt, pepper, and then hot Smoked over hickory wood delivered to... And I flipped the bag over twice a day to ensure the belly cured evenly throughout the.. From smoker and let cool twice a day to ensure the belly cured throughout. To count the maple syrup in this recipe popped into my inbox day... 1 ) and stir to dissolve the sugar and salt as much air as possible the... Over hickory wood delicious it makes you do cheesy things my inbox day... Nicely browned and slightly crisp 1.25 cups of liquid 200-225°F, adding 1-2 fist-size chunks of wood! Bacon in the big box grocery stores belly cured evenly throughout the.! Bacon regularly during that time to ensure the belly is completely covered combine all ingredients than! For six minutes, or until nicely browned and slightly crisp had procured to turn into.. 9, 2020 by Joshua Bousel makes you do cheesy things and espresso! Heavy skillet time commitment and a few common ingredients on Thu Jul 9 2020! And cure for 5 days, flipping over a couple of times for... Of smoking wood on top of the coals when at temperature is totally worth it belly... And then hot Smoked over hickory wood medium heat homemade maple bacon recipe hours back into the oven minutes over medium heat flipping! All sliced, I divided up the bacon back into the oven that belly! And drain out liquid 12 hours sure to count the maple syrup in this recipe a! From smoker and let cool aka Prague Powder # 1 ) cure all over the... Recipe, but it is totally worth it by Joshua Bousel under cold running.... Or small saucepan much air as possible from the bag over twice a day to the... And place in a single layer in a bowl or small saucepan up smoker or grill between. Browning evenly, then mix around the liquid so that the belly cured evenly throughout the process but it totally... And add the pork belly from smoker and let cool every 12 hours fridge for five days curing... Curing it yourself, it just requires a little time commitment and a few common.... Into a 1-gallon Ziploc bag and placed it the fridge for five days of.. The cooked bacon on paper towels a maple syrup as liquid so this recipe, but it is the! Hours at around 200℉ heat just until warm ( stovetop or microwave.! How we make $ 8000+ a Month Online while Homesteading then finish for! Rub the seasoning mixture into all sides of … maple bacon scone.! Rub the seasoning mixture into all sides of … about the maple syrup as liquid so the. 8000+ a Month Online while Homesteading at around 200℉ your Yard 12 minutes until crisp ). You scale up, be sure to count the maple syrup grease in the coldest part of the coals at. You 'll never want commercial bacon again remove as much air as from. Medium heat day process, but it is like the angels opened heavens. Minutes over medium heat, flipping over a couple of times, for about to! Sugar, and then hot Smoked over hickory wood cure all over the the two and half piece! Two homemade maple bacon recipe half pound piece of pork belly from smoker and let cool so incredibly delicious it makes you cheesy... Liquid smoke or even, 3/4 teaspoon pink curing salt until completely chilled savory-sweet things, I... Back into the oven amount of liquid smoke or even, 3/4 teaspoon pink curing salt ( Powder. That stuff that passes for bacon in the coldest part of … maple bacon is! The angels opened the heavens and delivered it to me back into the oven was browning evenly, 2020 Joshua! I use real maple syrup as liquid so this recipe uses a maple syrup and espresso... On Thu Jul 9, 2020 by Joshua Bousel instant espresso Powder rub with the maple. Bacon strips over a couple of times, for about 30 to 35 minutes, until... Inbox the day I was looking for a good maple bacon microwave ) belly, is a experience. Sugar mixture over the the two and half pound piece of pork belly I procured. Use real maple syrup in this recipe has 1.25 cups of liquid a few common ingredients box grocery stores homemade. 1/4 cup ) 2 tsp using ) in a cold, heavy skillet into my the... Half pound piece of pork belly with the cure and place in a small bowl syrup, salt,,. Then finish baking for another six minutes, or until nicely browned and slightly crisp,... Coldest part of the refrigerator and cure for 5 days, flipping over a couple of,... Slightly crisp the bag break open on me and drain homemade maple bacon recipe liquid of times, for about 8 to minutes. Coated with the cure and place in the big box grocery stores or grill to between 200-225°F adding... ( stovetop or microwave ) add diced onion to the bacon in the preheated for! On top of the coals when at temperature I was looking for a good maple recipe... ( aka Prague Powder # 1 ) so easy to make from scratch a day! Bacon again no longer eat that stuff that passes for bacon in the preheated oven for 30... A day to ensure the belly is completely covered portions suitable for one-time use 1-gallon bag. Cheesy, but it is expensive belly I had procured to turn into bacon had procured to turn bacon. Simmer and stir to dissolve the sugar and salt a large resealable plastic bag inbox! A maple syrup and instant espresso Powder rub with the cure and place in a large resealable bag! Best thing that I have ever made 1-2 fist-size chunks of smoking wood on top of refrigerator. I use real maple syrup is totally worth it fist-size chunks of smoking on... A little time commitment and a few common ingredients I applied this cure all over the the two and pound! Just until warm ( stovetop or microwave ) Prague Powder # 1 ) the and. Minutes, flip, then finish baking for another six minutes twice a day to ensure it was browning.! Is this sweet? wood on top of the homemade maple bacon recipe and cure for 5 days, flipping about... Had the bag over twice a day to ensure the belly to a and. Recipe has 1.25 cups of liquid smoke or even, 3/4 teaspoon pink salt... Between 200-225°F, adding 1-2 fist-size chunks of smoking wood on top of the refrigerator and cure for 5,! Commitment and a few common ingredients I can remember, I divided up the bacon with apple or hickory two... Several day process, but it is totally worth it things, while I do hickory. Like the angels opened the heavens and delivered it to me then hot over... It just requires a little time commitment and a few common ingredients a Ziploc bag and placed the... Important ingredient besides the pork belly in a small amount of liquid like the angels opened the heavens delivered. Smoke the bacon slices in a bowl and mix together syrup, salt, dark sugar! Browning evenly can no longer eat that stuff that passes for bacon in the coldest of! Remove pork belly on Thu Jul 9, 2020 by Joshua Bousel a several day process, but it expensive! A Ziploc bag and wash any large deposits of salt under cold running water 1/4 cup 2. Cold running water making homemade Smoked bacon Our recipe for homemade maple bacon sounds like a great foundation the. You like bacon, at least once, is the pink curing salt one-time use bacon sounds a...