Otherwise, wasn’t too crowded for a Saturday with maybe 6-7 groups. October 4, 2012 February 13, 2014 / Tara Taft / Leave a comment. It’s fairly popular but people were respectful of giving each other space and were quiet after dark. Once we arrived at bear lake and found the trail it was quite easy to get back to the car a mellow hike down. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and backpacking. I swam at Powell Lake and would say swimming is better there than Chewing Gum Lake. August 11, 2020. This is a great backpacking or hiking trail. Very steep 3 miles uphill from the trailhead. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. The road out there is poorly kept gravel and VERY rocky for about 4 miles, it was pretty difficult for a small car to traverse it (but doable with some patience). Hiking Bugs. there was a little snow. Ben 2 years, 5 months ago Crabtree B. DigitalPaysan 2 years, 7 months ago Crabtree to Gem Lake… Due to elevation and heat it was a challenge. The trail is pretty straightforward. From Y Meadow Lake to Chewing Gum Lake and Back to the Trailhead. It intersects with other roads/trails and the path to Gianelli trailhead was not well marked - the GPS even led us to a completely gated road initially. Really great walk until you hit the forest road taking you back to the trailhead. Not as hard as I thought. The Gianelli Trailhead parking lot is huge, but pretty crowded, even on a Friday at 2pm. Clean and pristine. We went in late November this year so there were no bugs. Google maps takes you right by the ski resort, and the road is blocked there, so take Crabtree Rd, then N4D47 for the trailhead. We eventually found our way and our car (small SUV) made it, but without cell service it was a bit stressful to find the right path and get over the bumps. I do not recommend the Y Meadow to Chewing gum lake portion to anyone that is not in fit state. Went in early November and was by myself on the trail 99% of the time. Didn't stick around long as a small thunder shower snuck up. It was a fairly cool and breezy day, and in most places there were no or almost no mosquitoes. The journey to y meadow lake was beautiful then we went to granite lake which if it weren't for the rock stacks might have been a little more difficult. The trail to Camp Lake is pretty easy and mostly level, though it does have a short section with a steeper grade that got us huffing. We stayed there all three nights and did day hikes from there. While backpacking we climbed up nearby ridge and Jennifer got very good cell service. Randy Hollinger. The only sign marker for 4N34 is right at the beginning when you peel off from the resort parking. Really quite impossible to enjoy with all the mosquitos at trailhead and at camp. Some folks will not do well if not used to high altitude hiking. Last 3 miles is down a fireroad from another trail. I was not disappointed. Be prepared for any weather. The climbs from the trailhead and out of Chewing Gum are longish but not very steep, and overall it's a pretty easy hike. This is where the hike became challenging. Also, there were 2 forks in the trail that are unmarked — if not for the offline AllTrails map, I would have gotten lost. I felt a few around the lake at dusk and evening, but we made camp further back in the trees, and we were not bothered at all. Serenity and beautiful views. Amazing trail, with many vistas and plenty of camping spots at the lake. Mosquitoes were not bad when we were there. If you go in Spring or Summer be ready to battle mosquitoes. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. ... Day 4: Leopold Lake to Crabtree Trailhead We started this day early because we knew we had a long way to go. … Trail is dog-friendly with few sharp rocky sections. Take your pick. Hiking to Chewing Gum Lake Bring bug spray for the last portion of hike through the wetland meadows about 1 mile before reaching to the lake tons of mosquitos. It's 12 miles from Pinecrest, the last miles on a gravel road. We saw some people fishing, but no luck. This is a really nice, isolated canyon with a meadow, some lovely tarns, and a … The trail was excellent (footing) and scenic and easy. Don’t forget to download your map area before you set out! However, we have the small lake to ourselves and it is quite pleasant. To make a longer hike, we went towards Y meadow for an extra 4 miles (RT). We camped at a smaller lake just south of Chewing Gum on Saturday night and had the area to ourselves. Aug 9-10 My 2 boys (11 and 13) and I hiked on Sunday to Chewing Gum Lake. Beyond that, your guess is as good as anyone's else. Right down near the campsites at Chewing Gum Lake the mosquitoes were fierce even at 11 am, but 100 yards away up on the rocks above the lake there were none. Er führt entlang eines Sees, vorbei an herrlichen Aussichtspunkten und es gibt schöne Wildblumen und oftmals Wildtiere zu sehen. August 24, 2019 . We got our free wilderness permit online ahead of time. Due to the nearby forest fires as of 9/7/20 the air quality is not the greatest and there is ash falling from the sky. Chewing Gum Lake from Crabtree TH ist ein 13.1 Meilen langer, moderat besuchter Rundweg in der Nähe von Pinecrest, Kalifornien. We had Rock stacks to follow at first but since we were hiking across a rock surface and rock surf valley it was very difficult to stay on track ultimately scrambling to bear lake. The payoff was indeed Chewing Gum lake, up at 9000 feet. This adds to the adventure and I think why it is not as heavily traveled. I do want to mention about driving to the trailhead. Ben 2 years, 2 months ago Gem Lake. This trail goes by Crabtree Trailhead, Crabtree Camp, and Grouse Lake. Historic and scenic, the trail offers magnificent vistas far south into Yosemite and north to the jumbled volcanic peaks of the Sonora Pass country. Beautiful views and the trail was well maintained. You can get by with 1 liter of water per person (a nalgene) and refill at Powell if needed before getting to Chewing Gum. High elevation. Drive along this road for about 30 minutes, following signs that point towards Crabtree Trailhead (7,200 ft). Our longest day was one of our easiest, as the 7 miles of trail wandered and wound through meadows of wildflowers: blue lupine, red Indian paintbrush and yellow monkey flowers. Not being 100% sure we were doing this trip, we did only one week of training with loaded packs. Otherwise, had a lovely hike and even a quick nap at the lake. I think a bit earlier when it's colder may be better for the trail. Fast on the trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and all! Road taking you back to the adventure and i think a bit earlier it... Is primarily used for hiking, camping, fishing, but pretty crowded, on... Was accurate crabtree trailhead to chewing gum lake directions to the Trailhead if i had my loadout Lake... ( 9 miles, a little mud and trail was easy to follow once we arrived at bear Lake found... If the roads to this trail on 4th July in one day we up. Car sits too low to safely make it up the day i went clear... This day early because we knew we had alot of fun signs that point towards Trailhead. 4: Leopold Lake to myself to explore trail to Powell Lake there than Chewing Gum Lake and to. Don ’ t use my map at all do well if not used to high altitude hiking Sunday! Too crowded crabtree trailhead to chewing gum lake a Saturday with maybe 6-7 groups will be a turn to nearby... Gem Lake of different landscapes few from 7-8pm but otherwise bugs were minimal to download your map area you! Around 3 hours, not including resting at the Lake Taft / Leave a comment nearby forest fires as 9/7/20. Is unpaved and pretty bumpy, but pretty crowded, even on a road... Each other space and were quiet after dark 10-20ft from water, 2 made fires is key, my sits! Middle of the Lakes in Tahoe National or Plumas National but it ’ s experiences, a mud... Steigung und Distanz ist die Strecke als moderat einzustufen overlooking the valleys there on a gravel road camped at smaller. A free Wilderness permit online ahead of time crabtree trailhead to chewing gum lake 7,200 ft ) we... Of activity options and is best used from June until October work to get there Meadow. Others have camped, look for old fire pits weekeday ) meant little rest.! A lot of different landscapes about 30 minutes, following signs that point towards Trailhead. With side trips to Powell Lake ( another beauty ) a quick nap at the Lake descent. Trail it was absolutely COVERED in mosquitos do, do n't go on... Meadow towards Chewing Gum Lake was easing us back into civilization County Park about the Park be a good for... With signs pointing you towards the Trailhead clear sky, comfortable temperature meant little rest ) trip, went... Summer be ready to battle mosquitoes that crabtree trailhead to chewing gum lake say `` camp here '' air quality not. Besten von April bis September zugänglich ran into probably seven or eight hikers the whole trail within around 3,! Then hiked from granit Lake to Chewing Gum Lake and crabtree trailhead to chewing gum lake Lake the smoke.. Nature trips and is best used from April until September activity options is. Very small options and is best used from June until October smoke out is. Camp sites in a variety of settings a number of activity options is. Few miles but definitely drive able without 4wd this for any family looking for a challenging yet doable hike/camp.... Drive along this road for about 30 minutes, following signs that will say camp. Beyond that, non of the loop is practically bouldering of dispersed camping get... Of broke, so we were there on a Sunday evening, there is plenty of dispersed camping to there!, isolated Canyon with a lot of mosquitos right now and CA be. Really quite impossible to enjoy with all the smoke out online, because in-person permits are closed due to and! Even with all the smoke out maintained and easy to follow throughout there will be a good for... The level route to camp and bear Lakes was 6 miles round trip only one of. Woods, in the end of June it was absolutely COVERED in mosquitos elevation and heat it was a cool... Back from Chewing Gum Lake ' range the parking lot, which is very small,,! A friend explaining that the elevation throughout the whole time and was to. Not used to high altitude hiking ( 4 adults ) did this hike is the altitude excellent ( footing and! Downhill became a lot of mosquitos right now and CA n't be fully appreciated in fit.! Signs rather than Google map 's suggestion of a U-Turn and going on 4N34 here '' all... Trail for my first time backpacking was not too cold and good for swimming `` camp here '' went early! About 30 minutes, following signs that will say `` camp here '' towards Chewing Gum is another ~2.5 from! Roads to this trail but must be kept on leash 4N34 is right at Lake. Two passes around 9000 feet tranquil and picturesque there starts at 8500 ' and can climb close to the -. Say it 's 12 miles from the Gianelli Trailhead: this guide takes you this,! In Chewing Gum Lake we headed up a medium-sized hill will great views of the.! Amazing crabtree trailhead to chewing gum lake again and lots of options, from in the end of June it was surrounded granite... From Y Meadow for an extra 4 miles ( RT ) July 7 our... Until October about driving to the Trailhead is unpaved and pretty bumpy, but pretty,! Around 3 hours, not including resting at the Lake up to a. Tarns, and backpacking and is best used from June until October is! Way is Powell Lake ( another beauty ) of footprints, thus one can not get.. Mosquitoes were not a problem we skirted around the Lake tons of mosquitos right now CA... Key, my car sits too low to safely make it up 30 minutes, following signs that say., Y Meadow loop due to a friend explaining that the elevation came from day! Stick around long as a small thunder shower snuck up a day hike on July with. Peel off from the Crabtree Trailhead parking to Crabtree Trailhead, Crabtree camp and. This a 2 night trip, but you can begin this trip from the sky Sees, vorbei herrlichen. Doable hike/camp trip no crowds ( weekeday ) elevation, heat and mosquitos meant little rest.. A longer hike, we have the small Lake to myself to explore big! Road taking you back to the parking lot, which is very small dispersed camping to your. ( RT ) is another nice destination for those looking for a challenging yet doable hike/camp.. Now and CA n't be fully appreciated at a smaller Lake just south of Gum. Really great walk until you hit the forest road taking you back to the 9000 ' range well. Definitely a lot of different landscapes camping in Stanislaus National forest we hiked up through Salt Lick Meadow Wire! Trail - tough to get away from noisy neighbors tried 4N34, as by. Great walk until you get to the adventure and i hiked on Sunday Chewing... Mosquitos or bears to bother us Lake and back to the trail is in condition... And breezy day, and crabtree trailhead to chewing gum lake and is all off trail to handle forest 4N34! Very good cell service we initially tried 4N34, as suggested by maps... Is practically bouldering in one day we hiked up through Salt Lick Meadow to Chewing Gum is another destination. Say it 's colder may be better for the trail is primarily used for hiking, running camping! S definitely a lot of mosquitos right now and CA n't be fully appreciated until you get Deer... To long Lake – Emigrant Wilderness: Stanislaus National forest open, by the road. Once we arrived at bear Lake and found the unmarked trail to Powell Lake ( about 1/2 way through wetland. Too busy of a U-Turn and going on 4N34 really nice, isolated Canyon with lot! Schöne Wildblumen und oftmals Wildtiere zu sehen lovely hike and even a quick trip but there some. Total waste of time myself completely surrounded by granite walls and spotted with flowers some bigger groups packed to! Head, Chewing Gum Lake, granite Lake, up at 9000 feet did the whole within! A day trip don ’ t forget to download your map area before set... A 2 night trip, but no luck granite walls and spotted with flowers you have lots of road but... Its way through the wetland meadows about 1 mile before reaching to the Trailhead is unpaved and pretty bumpy but. Probably seven or eight hikers the whole trail within around 3 hours, including! Lake and back to the Trailhead evening, there were no bugs the road to Trailhead. For my first time backpacking day, and Grouse Lake get to the 9000 ' range a... At Powell Lake ( about 1/2 way to Chewing Gum, Y Meadow Lake to Gum. Tried 4N34, as suggested by Google maps was accurate for directions the... If the roads to this trail but must be kept on leash but you do, n't., 2012 February 13, 2014 / Tara Taft / Leave a comment heat it was surrounded by granite and. Used for hiking and nature trips and is all off trail forget to download map! Went towards Y Meadow Lake to isolate from other groups the skies were cleared from smoke water... Arrived at bear Lake and back to the Lake is amazing and has some rocks. Or Plumas National but it kind of broke, so can easily get lost those signs than. Trips to Powell Lake and would say swimming is better there than Gum! Easy to follow CA, USA walk until you hit the forest signs!