Father Dave expresses a deep understanding of a grandparent’s desire to see their grandchild baptized into the … 5:4). John the Baptist, Peter, the rest of the apostles, Timothy, and other orained in the Church baptized people. Why are people taking longer to grow up these days? That it is a seal of the Covenant of Grace, of our ingrafting into Christ, and of our union with Him, of remission of sins, regeneration, adoption, and life eternal; c. That the water, in baptism, represents and signifies both the blood of Christ, which taketh away all guilt of sin, original and actual; and the sanctifying virtue of the Spirit of Christ against the dominion of sin, and the corruption of our sinful nature; d. That baptizing, or sprinkling and washing with water, signifies the cleansing from sin by the blood and for the merit of Christ, together with the mortification of sin, and rising from sin to newness of life, by virtue As someone who is going to have a baby in about four weeks, it’s that last one that concerns me the most. Yes you can---this is actually suggested if your child is in a life threatening situation and has not been baptized for you to do so. So, this particular work of ministry (Eph. admonition of the Lord? (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Believe on the Lord Jesus, and thou shalt be saved, thou and thy house. When people are baptized as babies, they often have holy water sprinkled over them. After they have repeated their confession of faith, say a blessing over them to make their baptism official. 56-6 Then the minister is to pray for a blessing to attend this ordinance, after which, calling the child by name, he shall say: I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. At what age you can baptize the child Child christen perhaps from birth – in special cases, for which there is a special prayer the baptism of the fear for death. You can dedicate your child. In these or the like instructions, the minister is to use his own liberty and godly wisdom, as the ignorance or errors in the doctrine of Baptism, and the edification of the people, shall require. As a child, teenager, or adult, you will kneel, sit, or lie in holy water. You can sign in to vote the answer. Can I baptize my own children? is the Theological Editor at Third Millennium Ministries (Thirdmill). Some churches will sprinkle the child with holy water and say that this is enough. In Matthew 28:19, Jesus gives us the words to say when we baptize in His name. It is easier to lie on your side with your head towards the taps, pull your arm right up so you can get under. Specific rites may vary depending on which Church is baptizing you. Give them the benediction before you immerse them in the water. The minister shall then propose the following questions: 1. As we saw in “Can the Pastor Refuse to Baptize Our Child?” parish priests are not supposed to baptize babies indiscriminately. 7 Reasons to Get Your Baby Baptized Your child will officially be a Child of God. That it is instituted by our Lord Jesus Christ; b. As an example for instructions and how a minister should proceed, below is a related excerpt from the Book of Church Order of the Presbyterian Church in America. 56-3. Who Can Baptize? I was baptized when I was around 10 by the preacher at our church. It is a common widespread practice for parents to baptize their children shortly after birth. any HLVR:AI g-man fictionkins on yahoo answers? After previous notice is given to the minister, the child to be baptized is to be presented, by one or both the parents, or some other responsible person, signifying the desire that the child be baptized. 4:12) is not something that a unordained person should do, but is rather bestowed upon elders/ministers according to God's revealed will (Heb. On the day of Pentecost, the Lord poured out his Holy Spirit to launch the new covenant era. And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee and to Isaiah 3:1-26 ESV / 6 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful. Answer: The Bible does not specifically address this question. There isn't even a law that says in the bible that you cannot baptize your own child. So that was a long way to say, “yes.” Christian fathers can baptize their own children. This belief is founded by the idea that the original sin from Adam and Eve is inherited. Of course, when the baby gets older he (or she) will make their own choices, but this is how I want to get them started." Covenant of Grace, for substance, being the same; and the grace of God, and the consolation of believers, more plentiful than before; f. That the Son of God admitted little children into His presence, embracing and blessing them, saying, "For of such is the kingdom of God"; g. That children by Baptism, are solemnly received into the bosom of the Visible Church, distinguished from the world, and them that are without, and White symbolizes purity and a … You can dedicate your child to God, whatever your belief system is. When they have reached the age of discretion, they become subject to obligations of the covenant: faith, repentance and obedience. One the one hand, it is argued that baby baptism was pushed forward by the Roman Catholic Church under the statement that babies are born in sin. The promise is for you and your children" (Acts 2:38-39). That the inward grace and virtue of Baptism is not tied to that very moment of time wherein it is administered; and that the fruit and power thereof reaches to the whole course of our life; and that outward baptism is not so necessary, that through the want thereof, the infant is in danger of damnation; j. Otherwise, let their parents or other relatives speak for them. But it's not God's law. Get your answers by asking now. Dr. Joseph R. Nally, Jr., D.D., M.Div. The minister shall then read the covenant promises: For to you is the promise, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call unto him. I asked him what he wants and he said he wants to baptize where as I don't. When a child expresses a desire to be baptized, it presents a pastor a wonderful opportunity to spend time with that child, to hear how the Lord has been working in his life, and to encourage him to continue to seek the Lord. If you do not belong to any particular church it's your child, you can do whatever you want. John the Baptist baptized a baptism of repentance, but Jesus added repentance and faith or belief (Mark 1:14-15). When our own children were born over 30 years ago, we had them baptized when they were just a couple of weeks old. It is not to be privately administered, but in the presence of the congregation under the supervision of the Session. Can I baptize my child myself? 56-4. I’m 24 am I running out of time to have kids ? He recalls the old episode of the sitcom “All in the Family,” where Archie Bunker baptizes his grandson on his own because his parents don’t want him to be baptized. When a child is baptized, the parents’ faith speaks for the child who is too young to have explicit faith on his or her own. They then make public confession of their faith in Christ, or become covenant breakers, and subject to the discipline of the Church. I was baptized Christian and he is catholic. Before baptism, the minister is to use some words of instruction, touching the institution, nature, use, and ends of this sacrament, showing: a. I am so excited about your decision and I pray it works out! Baptism is a religious ceremony performed under Christianity and symbolises a person's purification, and admission into the Church.When a child or baby is baptised, it is often accompanied by the giving of their name.When young children attend a baptism, or are to be baptised themselves, it can be a confusing concept for them as they may not fully understand why it is they are being baptised.