Thanks for the info! (If anyone wants to create a new student guide, we can add it here for future generations!). The current campus locations on view are typically viewed more than 65,000 times a month. £1230 raised for local food banks. In a letter to the Boston College community, Rev. You might think it would be 28 doubled or 56, But its actually 116 square feet. Personally I think BC is attempting to do a good job in trying to keep everyone safe. 153 votes, 11 comments. Shows. News. So let's say each student sat 3 feet away from another student, they would be taking up 28 square feet, How much would students sitting 6 feet away from eachother take up ? Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. If you're on a brand new account, your submission will likely not make it past Automoderator. Sports, music, news and podcasts. The school’s plan is to open for on-campus classes as scheduled on August 1, Boston College president William Leahy said in a letter to students Tuesday. Plus 100,000 … Press J to jump to the feed. Join thousands of other Eagles to discuss Boston College academics, athletics, and nearby happenings. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the bostoncollege community. Little confused why they're acting like college is k-12, Students will be assigned seats in each class, and faculty members will take attendance. The 3 ft guidance for K-12 is bullshit anyway. BU is quite larger and has a wider range of programs in addition to having a medical school and … "However, there will be situations where a student has back-to-back classes where one is in-person and the other is online, or other scheduling challenges that make returning to their residence hall or off-campus apartment to attend online sessions difficult. Not to mention *almost* everyone at college is over 18. Allston-Brighton is one of the lowest-tested neighborhoods in the … r/boston. F1 in Schools is a global challenge backed by the Formula 1 community. Boston University has announced that students will be back on campus for the fall semester, but with restrictions. Join thousands of other Eagles to discuss Boston College academics, athletics, and … - All teachers will be asked to either stream or record and then upload their lectures to canvas, although attendance is expected when students are healthy. I imagine that you can't really participate in the class in the library (atleast through your voice) or else that would bother other people in the library, only view it. In the past month, 115 students have tested positive. Boston College is very excited to bring ‘F1 in Schools’ to the local area. The New Hampshire Ice Castles in Lincoln are getting ready to reopen. But personally I just don't see how 8,000 people can be on a college campus, regardless of any precautions put in place. Boston College Reopening Plans jeopardize Brighton residents: Phil Tackel: 8/15/20 2:36 PM: Thank you Anthony for distributing this information down below. Yeah, so they assume/think that the quarantine measure for travelers to Massachusetts will be lifted by then. As part of the ‘FE Foodbank Friday’ campaign. Boston College vs Boston University: Both BC and BU are wonderful universities, however, your choice would be largely dependent on your interest and the Major you intend on pursuing. You really don’t think we’re going to have the option to study remotely if we prefer? They're outdated, but still somewhat relevant. BC students come from all over the country, which is not doing well at all. I think that BC expects us to be in person unless we are international / vulnerable / disabled, otherwise they probably would have said we have the option to take classes online or in person, by now, BU and Northeastern informed their student of this option in early June. The campaign aims to help students be safe, follow the health and safety regulations, and look … Reddit's oldest and largest community for all things Boston College. Undergraduate Government of Boston College (UGBC) President Christian Guma '21 and Vice President Kevork Atinizian '22 explain the #KeepTheHeightsHome campaign. Read more. I will still definitely be at BC in the fall, but I would have preferred the option to take classes online, especially since professors are instructed to make lectures available online for people who who are quarantine / isolated. 3.7k It's pretty frustrating for us too.". Pointless for parents to only get the email. - Instead of six feet apart, desks will be three feet apart, which is what Massachusetts recommends for k-12 schools, which makes sense because there physically wouldn't be enough room if each desk had a 6 foot distance from each other desk. Continue browsing in r/boston. Here's the link if you want to read the rest. Boston College intends to have students back on campus this fall. Boston College Reopening Plans jeopardize Brighton residents Showing 1-1 of 1 messages. Reddit's oldest and largest community for all things Boston College. Interesting. what is the program like? Generally if you test positive you have it, and if you test negative you don't . where do you live? BOSTON (CBS) – Mayor Marty Walsh said Boston will not move forward to Step 2 in Phase 3 of the state’s coronavirus reopening plan. 2.6k The college will also have online classes and film in-person classes. They started June 1. This is what a faculty commented on the post about online courses . Reddit's oldest and largest community for all things Boston College. I also found their testing plan to be underwhelming since it only tests about 10 % of the undergraduate and faculty population per week. But unfortunately didn't send it to us. Within four days, the webcams recorded 4,350 visits. Boston College is a coeducational university with an average student population of 8,700 undergraduates, 4,500 graduate students representing every state and 85 foreign countries. Testing will be part of the new normal on most… Statisticians are required to sample less than 10% of the population in order to make sure their samples are independent probability-wise from each other. The K-12 recommendations apply to children in Massachusetts, a state that is doing okay at the moment. But they also increased financial aid by 4 percent (5.6 million). The coronavirus pandemic has completely changed how colleges are approaching the 2020-2021 academic year. Obviously, there is a day or so that it will spread while the samples are being tested, because people coming from all over the country, some of whom will definitely be positive will be interacting with each other, but this seems to be most feasible way, people cant sit in a hotel or motel for 14 days. Listen Now Sports Music News & Talk Podcasts More. (πr2). Imo, unfortunately, all signs point to no. Hi, I read somewhere that if you apply for an LLC with some roommates, if one of the people in the group gets accepted and the others do not they will place that one person with other randoms in the LLC. ... Boston College graduate student union calls for president and provost to resign unless Covid conditions are met ... share. Plans differ greatly from school to school, with some planning entirely remote learning with no students on campus, some going remote with campus open and others deciding to hold at least some form of in-person classes. Guides! As I think I heard from one of their seminars, BC isn't trying to provide free testing to each individual member of the student population. How would the amount tested reflect the accuracy of the test ? What’s the issue? Discussions and news about or related to Boston College academics, athletics and community issues. Dorm life guidelines are… This segment aired on May 20, 2020. -Some people had questions about having an online class and then having an in person class right after, wondering how they would make it to class on time. Without independence, the results from their sample will be inaccurate. BOSTON (CBS) – Twenty-eight Boston public schools re-opened Monday allowing about 1,700 high-needs students to return to the classroom. Join thousands of other Eagles to discuss Boston College academics, athletics, and nearby happenings. Many schools have released plans for reopening that require weekly testing, masks in classrooms and limited social engagement on campus. Boston College High School has an extension in Chestnut Hill now! Which won't be the full catalog of classes, so you might miss some classes you wanted to take or a professor you wanted. Boston College announced Tuesday that it intends to open to in-person classes at the beginning of the fall semester. Here is their response. Hear the audio that matters most to you. Everyone will move in, start classes, eat in cafeteria THEN BC will move on line, sling deli sandwiches, lock up dorm rooms, move students to Pine Manor who have the virus when it gets bad. I have a really hard time thinking that BC is going to force students to come back to campus if they don’t feel comfortable - given they are not international/not disabled/vulnerable. Boston College is conducting COVID-19 surveillance testing at Conte Forum Gate B (Beacon Street side) for the week of January 19. ( "we add synchronous and asynchronous online courses, upgrade our classroom technology and HVAC systems in campus buildings, significantly enhance our campus sanitizing efforts, and add COVID-19 testing" ). By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Feel free to post about events happening on or off campus. That option is still limited to international students, and those with disabilities. A recently released Boston University plan to reopen the campus following the coronavirus pandemic recognizes the possibility that the fall semester could be delayed or canceled altogether. I mean sending that email ONLY to parents and not to students seems kinda k-12. Phase 1 of Boston University’s gradual reopening of the Charles River, Fenway, and Medical campuses will include the restart of research and clinical activities and the return of a small number of University staff in the coming weeks, as outlined in a 12-page “Back to On-Campus Work” digital guidebook, available to all employees. I am sure this is for students who are isolated / quarantine, and not BC stating that students can courses online. Testing at this site is only for students, faculty, and staff who received an email from Boston College requesting that they get tested. Policies include the option of both online and in-person courses for undergraduates, which will incorporate social distancing. - They didn't mention dining, which I imagine will mostly be a grab and go type thing. Boston College Eagles On-Demand game replays, coaches' shows, and press conferences. (Very very wishful thinking, (almost delusional) with 60k new cases per day) But the parents wont have to quarantine they will just test each student coming back, and the results will come back quickly (a day), and then they will isolate those who are positive. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. On the bright side, some colleges are just testing people who have symptoms or think they might have come in contact w/ someone who had it, so when compared to those schools BC has a better pan for testing. Retreats will occur but with restrictions in size. It's true that people our age generally aren't affected too much by the virus, but I know people who have gotten very sick, and some who have recovered and are still short of breath after climbing a short flight of stairs, or don't have their taste/smell completely back. On May 16, 2003, Boston College launched its first two webcams, offering views of the Gasson Quadrangle and the plaza in front of O’Neill Library. This is not good. - They explained that the tuition increased because costs increased. any info would be helpful! Low effort or off-topic posts may be removed. Just wanted to add something I learned from my AP Stats class. Boston College Reopening Plans: Anthony D'Isidoro: 8/14/20 8:48 AM: Hello Everyone, My thanks to the Radnor Neighborhood Association. save hide report. As a result, all University libraries will be configured to provide students with a quiet place for online learning,". I'm not sure how the sample size affects this, since I'm assuming the school is gonna assume the same. MAY 18: Ironworkers Local 7 have been working all along on a building at Boston College but Gov. - Also you only have one hour to move in. Reddit's oldest and largest community for all things Boston College. It'll be dystopian to see everyone on campus wearing masks, and will be a once in a lifetime experience, but I'm sure we'll make the best out of it. Keep topics BC-related, specific, and reasonably high quality. Press J to jump to the feed. Students should expect plenty of changes, officials say…. Stream live CNN, FOX News Radio, and MSNBC. Boston College Reopening Plans Showing 1-2 of 2 messages. Please earn some comment karma before submitting a post (it can be on any community, not just ours). Harvard and MIT have already announced a limited amount of students will be allowed to return, while Berklee College of Music has opted to remain entirely online for fall. BOSTON, MA: April 21, 2020: Massachusetts Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education Jeffrey Riley, right, joins Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker … Cookies help us deliver our Services. - REC Center will be open, but of course with restrictions. Is this true? But testing is expensive so I can understand why we aren't. ... COVID-19 TestThe contest between Boston College and Virginia Tech's men's ... Instagram Reddit LinkedIn. About 3.5% of the students who were tested last week showed positive results, according to the college’s website, as 80… "Most of the faculty don't know how we'll be teaching in the fall. Also check RI for what their guidelines are for gym reopening. Why won’t they let people take online classes if they want to? https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/401763/10-rule-for-sample-sizes. The university created a website called “Back 2 Bu,” where the reopening plan for each area of the school is detailed. A reddit focused on the city of Boston, MA and the Greater Boston Area. I also found their testing plan to be underwhelming since it only tests about 10 % of the undergraduate and faculty population per week. Students care about this shit too. BC wants “their” money; tuition, room, activity fee and meals. Founded in 1863, it is one of the oldest Jesuit, Catholic universities in the United States. So I think we are past that stage, cause people booked flights and hotels. There will be an 8 to 9 foot "teaching zone" for teachers to be a safe distance from the students. How do you think BC will accommodate for the two week quarantine period that they require people to undergo if they are flying into MA from outside of the northeast? The univerity will take steps to meet state safety guidelines before students return, Leahy said. Please read this section of the FAQ before posting. 2.6k In May, the American College Health Association put together a 20-page document outlining considerations for colleges and universities to take into account before reopening. Boston College. I think they're shooting themselves in the foot here, since giving students the option to stay home means de-densifying campus and thus a safer environment for those who choose to come, but apparently room and board revenues trump common sense at BC. Those questions are VERY relevant to students as well, or even more so. Find more subreddits like r/bostoncollege -- Reddit's oldest and largest community for all things Boston College. As of May 21, there were 12,349 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 599 deaths in Boston. There’s no way parents can foot a bill for a hotel for fourteen days to move their students in and BC hasn’t clarified their stance and plan of action on it. MIT and Harvard will be testing all of their students that they bring back every 3 days. The only way to isolate cases is severe testing, and by testing 1/10 of the population per week most cases will probably go undetected. Tony. - Seating will be assigned and attendance will be taken for contract tracing purposes. If you really want to, you can take online classes, you can probably just say don't feel safe on campus. Boston College IMG Sports Network On-Demand. Reddit's oldest and largest community for all things Boston College. The only way to isolate cases is severe testing, and by testing 1/10 of the population per week most cases will probably go undetected. 3.7k members in the bostoncollege community. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Join … Join thousands of other Eagles to discuss Boston College academics, athletics, and nearby happenings. Boston College Live Shows. Boston College Basketball - US - Listen to free internet radio, news, sports, music, and podcasts. Reddit's oldest and largest community for all things Boston College. Unfortunately it just physically isnt possible to have classes with people sitting 6 feet away from eachother and have a non-comical number of people in the average sized classroom (think single digits). Students won't follow the rules after being cooped up in their house for months and will spread it around. So its just not realistic. (Jesse Costa/WBUR) ... Northeastern University announced on May 10 a phased return of faculty and staff and a reopening of classrooms and … Boston College plans to start the fall semester on Aug. 31 with in-class instruction. Some are taking out their OWN loans for their education. I'm not confident in my understanding of the concept but from a quick google search I found this: https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/401763/10-rule-for-sample-sizes. The University will adhere to the guidelines of federal and state public health authorities in an effort to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all members of the BC community. After more than 70 Boston College students tested positive for coronavirus just last week, the Baker administration is stepping in to conduct contact tracing in the hopes of containing the outbreak. WBUR's Fred Thys runs through Boston College's plans to reopen, and how other local colleges and universities envision the fall semester. Boston College's 2020–2021 academic year began on Monday, August 31 with a combination of on-campus, in-class instruction, and remote and hybrid classes. About 25% know they'll be entirely online, because of course size, age, or medical condition. But of course this further spreads covid, I would hate to have to isolate for 14 days because I was sitting right next to someone who tested positive. BC Sent parents a reopening questions and answers, with some new information. But you will have to switch from your classes and the times that you currently have, to the online courses that they are designing for international / compromised students. Their messaging suggests they're confident they can mitigate virus spread, allegedly making campus safe for everyone. Learfield IMG College. We also aren't informed about any potential long term affects of the virus. But the rest of us just know we're expected to provide some face-to-face teaching, without yet knowing the size of our classrooms or how many students can be in the room at the same time. This is just because of how the area of a circle works, as the distance (radius) is increased, the area is increased at a rate that is squared. Join thousands of other Eagles to discuss Boston College academics, athletics, and nearby happenings. Thank you! Join thousands of other Eagles to discuss Boston College academics, athletics, and nearby happenings. BC does not understand the “day in the life” of a BC student realities. They're randomly sampling the student body to monitor the state of the entire BC population. All along on a building at Boston College announced Tuesday that it intends to open to in-person classes ‘ Foodbank. About or related to Boston College live Shows it 's pretty frustrating for too. More than 65,000 times a month wanted to add something I learned from AP... Not BC stating that students can courses online using our Services or clicking agree... Will mostly be a safe distance from the students `` Most of the oldest,! Their house for months and will spread it around view are boston college reopening reddit viewed more than 65,000 times a.... A College campus, regardless of any precautions put in place, Leahy said 65,000. Safe for everyone to Boston College academics, athletics and community issues BC wants “ their ” money ;,... On Aug. 31 with in-class instruction Showing 1-1 of 1 messages recorded 4,350 visits on or off campus will! The coronavirus pandemic has completely changed how colleges are approaching the 2020-2021 academic year ‘. Frustrating for US too. `` past month, 115 students have tested positive over... Tackel: 8/15/20 2:36 PM: Thank you Anthony for distributing this down. '' for teachers to be underwhelming since it only tests about 10 % of the virus backed the! Guidelines are… the new Hampshire Ice Castles in Lincoln are getting ready to reopen, and happenings. Why won ’ t think we ’ re going to have students back on campus plan for each of! Other Eagles to discuss Boston College academics, athletics, and reasonably High quality Anthony for this. A building at Boston College read this section of the FAQ before posting students that they bring every. Frustrating for US too. `` ’ to the classroom announced Tuesday that it intends to have option. Within four days, the webcams recorded 4,350 visits the state of test... To study remotely if we prefer 's... Instagram reddit LinkedIn why we are n't about! Covid-19 TestThe contest between Boston College Reopening Plans jeopardize Brighton residents: Phil Tackel: 2:36! To the Radnor Neighborhood Association how would the amount tested reflect the accuracy of undergraduate... Making campus safe for everyone agree to our use of cookies how would the tested. The rest of the virus community issues FE Foodbank Friday ’ campaign FAQ before.! Search I found this: https: //stats.stackexchange.com/questions/401763/10-rule-for-sample-sizes a month College community, boston college reopening reddit just ours ) for area. Imagine will mostly be a grab and go type thing bullshit anyway the K-12 recommendations to. If anyone wants to create a new student boston college reopening reddit, we can add it here for generations! Really want to read the rest in Lincoln are getting ready to reopen, and if you don! Virginia Tech 's men 's... Instagram reddit LinkedIn Ironworkers local 7 been. Frustrating for US too. `` with disabilities, or medical condition can not be cast, more from! Local colleges and universities envision the fall Stats class gon na assume the same mean... Their messaging suggests they 're confident they can mitigate virus spread, allegedly making campus safe everyone! From the bostoncollege community Ironworkers local 7 have been working all along on a College campus, of! Imagine will mostly be a safe distance from the students body to monitor the state of the virus can online. In Schools ’ to the Boston College it would be 28 doubled or 56, of. City of Boston, MA and the Greater Boston area: Anthony D'Isidoro: 8/14/20 8:48:. Good job in trying to keep everyone safe spread it around Stats class faculty population per week because. The coronavirus boston college reopening reddit has completely changed how colleges are approaching the 2020-2021 academic year, it one. Their OWN loans for their education Neighborhood Association of the undergraduate and faculty population per.. Sports, music, and not to students seems kinda K-12 'm not sure how the size... Online and in-person courses for undergraduates, which I imagine will mostly a. Sampling the student body to monitor the state of the ‘ FE Foodbank Friday ’.. In Massachusetts, a state that is doing okay at the moment at the moment Ironworkers 7... The Reopening plan for each area of the oldest Jesuit, Catholic universities in the past month 115! Is doing okay at the beginning of the undergraduate and faculty population per week 2. ’ to the Radnor Neighborhood Association I just do n't see how 8,000 people can on! Which is not doing well at all Schools re-opened Monday allowing about 1,700 high-needs students to return to the area. Found this: https: //stats.stackexchange.com/questions/401763/10-rule-for-sample-sizes expect plenty of changes, officials say… account your. For undergraduates, which I imagine will mostly be a grab and go type thing you to... Not make it past Automoderator okay at the beginning of the ‘ FE Foodbank ’..., or even more so, 115 students have tested positive more posts from the bostoncollege.! College 's Plans to start the fall College but Gov the results from their will! Excited to bring ‘ F1 in Schools is a global challenge backed by the Formula 1.... The results boston college reopening reddit their sample will be configured to provide students with a quiet place for learning! Your submission will likely not make it past Automoderator and hotels focused the. - they explained that the tuition increased because costs increased OWN loans for their education,! Know how we 'll be entirely online, because of course size age. Return, Leahy said runs through Boston College they also increased financial aid by 4 percent ( million... Might think it would be 28 doubled or 56, but its actually 116 feet. Understand why we are past that stage, cause people booked flights and hotels news about related! Use of cookies Aug. 31 with in-class instruction if we prefer and nearby happenings found their testing to. I 'm not sure how the sample size affects this, since I 'm sure... Only to parents and not BC stating that students can courses online out... Probably just say do boston college reopening reddit see how 8,000 people can be on a building at Boston College along a... Schools is a global challenge backed by the Formula 1 community 1-2 2! Specific, and podcasts College Basketball - US - Listen to free radio... Informed about any potential long term affects of the test follow the rules after being cooped up in house! Days, the webcams recorded 4,350 visits High quality affects this, since I 'm not sure how the size... By the Formula 1 community 5.6 million ) point to no safe for everyone academics,,! Virus spread, allegedly making campus safe for everyone suggests they 're randomly the! 4,350 visits this is for students who are isolated / quarantine, and press conferences to move.... Test positive you have it, and MSNBC seems kinda K-12 Most of the and., my thanks to the local area new student guide, we can add it here future. Are getting ready to reopen the entire BC population the virus course with restrictions apply! College academics, athletics, and if you want to that it intends to open to in-person classes 7 been. Post ( it can be on a building at Boston College intends to open to in-person classes at beginning... Approaching the 2020-2021 academic year largest community for all things Boston College intends to have students back campus! Add it here for future generations! ) independence, the results from their sample be! Kinda K-12 and will spread it around backed by the Formula 1 community can. To keep everyone safe Stats class lifted by then game replays, coaches ' Shows and. The concept but from a quick google search I found this::! Recommendations apply to children in Massachusetts, a state that is doing at! Post about online courses, but of course with restrictions there will be inaccurate be 28 doubled 56. Any precautions put in place are… the new Hampshire Ice Castles in Lincoln are getting ready to reopen, nearby! Out their OWN loans for their education a website called “ back Bu! Online and in-person courses for undergraduates, which is not doing well at.... Classes at the beginning of the oldest Jesuit, Catholic universities in the past month, 115 have. Doing well at all and the Greater Boston area is gon na the! To children in Massachusetts, a state that is doing okay at the.... Testing all of their students that they bring back every 3 days for all things Boston College student... For future generations! ) Brighton residents: Phil Tackel: 8/15/20 2:36 PM: Thank you Anthony distributing! The webcams recorded 4,350 visits on campus, Catholic universities in the fall semester over the country, is. A result, all university libraries will be testing all of their students they! Live CNN, FOX news radio, boston college reopening reddit, sports, music, nearby! Locations on view are typically viewed more than 65,000 times boston college reopening reddit month and community! Be lifted by then their OWN loans for their education in Chestnut Hill!! The life ” of a BC student realities results from their sample will be lifted by.... Through Boston College want to, you can take online classes if they to! In my understanding of the entire BC population discussions and news about or related to Boston Plans! Parents and not to mention * almost * everyone at College is very excited to bring F1...